Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cantdolights Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Light Switch won't work, light is burning
    I walked into my house and turned on the kitchen overhead light. A loud electrical pop went off and the light blew. It did not blow the fuse but the light cannot be turned off now. Is the switch bad?
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 15, 2008, 06:50 PM
    If the light won't turn off at the switch, then the contact points of the switch are fused together. Shut the circuit off at the breaker and replace the switch.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Turn breaker off when working on circuit, don't go over your head.
    Removing switch will confirm defective, If that doesn't do it, fusing happened elswhere(where the "pop" came from).
    Good Luck
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 16, 2008, 08:46 AM
    When you purchase a new switch, buy an inexpensive voltage tester. Read the instructions!! Always check the wires before touching them. Even after the breakers are turned off!! Household current can be dangerous. Replacing a switch is simple but precautions must be taken when working on anything electrical!! Be smart, stay safe. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lights: Light Switch does not work. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I just installed 2 IC recessed lighting in our kitchen. One of the hole where I attached one of the recessed lights had 2 metallic flexible cables. 1 of which had 1 white, 1 red, 1 orange, and 1 green. The other cable had 1 white, 1 red, and 1 green. The recessed fixture has 3 wires: White,...

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Hampton bay ceiling fan and light suddenly won't work [ 3 Answers ]

I thought I was switching the direction of the fan by sliding a button on the top of the fan. However, it shut the fan off entirely and now it or the light will not turn on... its the summer and I really need my fan to work! :(

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

Burning Smell Associated with Light Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have one light switch that frequently produces a burning smell when turned off (although the light plate is never warm to the touch). The light switch is not particularly old, but wasn't replaced yesterday either. I have had this problem in apartments I have lived in in the past, although this...

View more questions Search