Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azure88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Sanskrit translation of "Elina"?
    Would somebody be able to provide the Sanskrit origin and/or translation of the name "Elina"? According to the internet it's "woman of intelligence" but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I've also seen that it could mean "rule" as in ruling a kingdom.

Also, if you could help me with the pronunciation I would appreciate it. I think it's "eh-lee-nah". Thanks!

FYI - I've named my daughter "Elina" and many Indians doubt that it's an Indian name as well as it's meaning.
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Jun 16, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by azure88
    Would somebody be able to provide the Sanskrit origin and/or translation of the name "Elina"? According to the internet it's "woman of intelligence" but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I've also seen that it could mean "rule" as in ruling a kingdom.

Also, if you could help me with the pronunciation I would appreciate it. I think it's "eh-lee-nah". Thanks!

FYI - I've named my daughter "Elina" and many Indians doubt that it's an Indian name as well as it's meaning.
    ELINA
    Usage: Finnish
    Finnish form of HELEN

HELEN
    Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Anglicized)
    Pronounced: HEL-en
    From the Greek 'ελενη (helene) "torch" or from σεληνη (selene) "moon".
    In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War.
    Saint Helena was mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.
    Helen Keller was the American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf.
    azure88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drkpp
    ELINA
    Usage: Finnish
    Finnish form of HELEN

HELEN
    Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Anglicized)
    Pronounced: HEL-en
    From the Greek ελενη (helene) "torch" or from σεληνη (selene) "moon".
    In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War.
    Saint Helena was mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.
    Helen Keller was the American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf.
    Thanks drkpp, I have seen these meanings and origins as well. I did find the name in Menaka Gandhi's Book of Hindu Names with the meaning I provided, but I wanted to get confirmation from someone else about the sanskrit origin. If you could help with that too, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again :)
    loguesmiith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
    Check out this Website
    http://www.indianwomenshealth.com/Baby-Name-Elina-4363.aspx

Name : Elina
    Category : Indian
    Meaning : Woman with intelligence

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

Check out the 3rd name from the bottom at this website:
    http://www.indianhindunames.com/indian-hindu-girl-name-e.htm

Ecchumati = A river
    Edha = Sacred
    Eesha = Goddess Parvati;Purity
    Eila = the Earth
    Eiravati = lightening, Ravi river
    Ekaa = Goddess Durga
    Ekaja = only child
    Ekani = One
    Ekanta = Devoted girl
    Ekantika = singly focused
    Ekaparnika = Goddess Durga
    Ekta = Unity
    Ela = Earth
    Elina = pure, intelligent⇐⇐⇐ ❉ (your daughter's name on a list of feminine Hindu names starting with E)
    Esha = Desires and Pleasures
    Eta = Luminous

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

And here is an American website with your daughter's name:
    http://www.babynamer.com/elina

Meaning: Its source is a Sanskrit expression meaning "Woman of intelligence."
    Languages: This girl's name is used in Hindi.
    Popularity: The name Elina ranked 3221st in popularity for females of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.

SHOW THIS TO YOUR INDIAN FRIENDS AND TELL THEM MAYBE THEY DO NOT KNOW ALL THE SANSKRIT/HINDI NAMES
    loguesmiith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
    I apologise.

I forgot to give you the pronunciation.
    Pronunciation for Elina: EH as in "ebb (EH.B)" ; L as in "lay (L.EY)" ; IY as in "eat (IY.T)" ; N as in "knee (N.IY)" ; AA as in "odd (AA.D)"

... 'EH-LEE-N-UH'
    http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Elina

At this Website, towards the top left corner, right under the caption of the name Elina, there is a prompter. It is in line with the first sentence of the first paragraph. It's really small but you can click it and it will pronounce the name aloud for you BTW, I really like your daughter's name Elina

Good Luck.
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Feb 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
    You mean: Elina spoken as "A-lee-na" ?
    =====
    'a' spoken as 'a' in 'father' [faa-ther] ?
    cksnames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
    Origin of Elina is Greek. Elina means shining, ray of light.

The name Elina is not Indian. Elina word does not exist in Indian language.

Ilina is Indian. Ilina is a Sanskrit word and this means "One who possess high intelligence".

My wife and I were looking for a nice name for our baby girl. My wife came across "Ilina" in "Hindu Names for Girls" by Maneka Gandhi. We liked this name. After further research we found that "Ilina" is indeed a Sanskrit word meaning and according to Purana, Ilina was the name of daughter of Medhatithi and it means "Possessor of high inteligence".

We named our daughter Ilina. Please don't confuse Ilina with Elina.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you translate "Respect" in Sanskrit? [ 5 Answers ]

How do you translate Respect?

Need Sanskrit translation for the word "fundamental". Thanks! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, does anybody out there have the sankrit (pradhaana) translation for the word "fundamental"? Help!

Sanskrit "milk and honey" [ 2 Answers ]

How do you write "milk and honey" In sanskrit? Refers to awakened consciousness, A symbol of spiritual illumination

"Is he rich?" in Sanskrit [ 1 Answers ]

How do you say "Is he rich?" in Sanskrit

Latin translation for "Friends, we've lost a day." [ 3 Answers ]

"Friends, we've lost a day." to indicate that the group has wasted time

View more questions Search