Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iridium Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Filing an amended return
    I filed for my return already and I had a job related move which I claimed as under exemptions. I was trying to find my receipts over the weekend and could not find receipts for some $300 for the move.

I am thinking of filing an amended return and putting in only the value for which I can find receipts. The change in the return will only be some $40 (which I will have to pay IRS)

Could you suggest if I should do it this way or shld I try something else.

I don't want to get audited for $40.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Iridium:

In my opinion, you are stressing out over a minor issue.

If all you claimed was $300 in moving expenses, the IRS will not even notice. They will process the return and send your refund, no questions asked.

The only time the IRS will audit moving expenses is if your address did not change from the previous year's return or the expenses were inordinately large (say in excess of $10,000); $300 will not even come up on their radar screen!

Do not worry about it! The IRS has bigger fish to fry than you!
    iridium Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the reply AtlantaTaxExpert.

My Total for the move was some $1550, was paid $350 from my company and the rest I claimed exemption on $1200. I have receipts for $900 but cld not find the receipts for the rest $300. So that why I was getting worried and thought about doing an amended return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Iridium:

I understand why you may be concerned, but, trust me, the IRS will process your return without a second thought about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing return for ITIN, ID Card requirements [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US in Apr-2006, couple of months back. I am on H1B I have a SSN no, and I have not filled my tax returns anytime. I am located in AZ, USA. My spouse is on H4. We don't have any children. I have few questions regarding getting her ITIN: 1. Its still time to file my...

Return on Assets & Return on Equity [ 1 Answers ]

Question... Lily Cosmetics has annual sales of $500,000,000. They maintain a net after tax profit margin of 5% and they have a sales-to-assets ratio of 4. A) What is the Return on assets? B) If the debt/equity ratio is 0.5, what is the Return on Equity?

NJ resident filing NY IT-203 non-resident return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I know its crunch time for tax filing so any advice I will greatly appreciate! This is my first time filing and I am confused. I thought to file on my own because it would not be complicated. I am a NJ resident who worked a few months in NJ, half the year in NYC (full time) and a very...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search