jclark24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Fuel filter on a 1997 honda civic lx
    How do I change the fuel filter? Any tips
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Honda Civic Fuel Filter Replacement:

The fuel filter should be replaced 1) every 4 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, or 2) whenever the fuel pressure drops below 40-47 psi, with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched, after making sure that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are OK.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
    2. Place shop towel under and around fuel filter.
    3. Relieve fuel pressure, by removing gas cap.
    4. Remove 12 mm banjo bolt and 14 mm fuel feed pipe (use flare wrench) from fuel filter.
    5. Remove fuel filter clamp and fuel filter.
    6. Use new copper washers, when assembling.
    7. Tighten banjo bolt to 16 lb-ft, service bolt (middle of banjo bolt) to 11 lb-ft, and fuel feed pipe to 28 lb-ft. Clean flared joint of high pressure hoses thoroughly before reconnecting.

CAUTION: Only change fuel filter when the engine is cold. Keep a Class B fire extinguisher ready. No smoking or open flames allowed (e.g. gas hot water heater, dryer, or furnace). Keep tools a safe distance from battery. Wear safety goggles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'95 Honda Civic Fuel Filter [ 5 Answers ]

I am having problems starting my car. I believe it's the fuel filter. I do not have my owner's manual. I cannot find the location of my fuel filter, for the life of me. Can someone please provide the exact location or give me a link to a diagram? Thanks in advance!

Fuel filter 94 honda civic [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change a 94 honda civic?

Fuel system for a 1997 Honda Accord [ 3 Answers ]

Where is the fuel filter located? Can I replace it myself? The car will run for a few seconds then it seems to run out of fuel. Is it the Fuel Pump?

2000 Honda Civic SIR Fuel Filter [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove the fuel filter and put a new one in exactly?

Please advice with changing fuel filter on my '90 Civic [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Could anyone offer advice on how I change the fuel filter on my Honda Civic 1990 , it is fuel injection. I hear that I first need to unbolt the banjo bolt but I don't know which one it is. It would be great if anyone knows of a place online that might have photo's on how to do this and...

View more questions Search