Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yvette516 Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2008, 11:48 AM
    visitation for a drug addict father
    This is for the state of Florida- Does anyone know anything about visitation when the father is a known drug addict. He has been to about 5 rehabs but always gets out and starts using again. We have a 2 year old together and I will be starting the paperwork for a divorce but it furiates me to know that our son may be able to go with his father every other weekend.

How easy or hard is it to get supervised visitation?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Hello yvette:

Pretty hard. You have to show that he's a danger to your daughter. I don't know if being an addict qualifies.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Yes, file that he is a user, use the failed rehab as evidence and see if they court will order drug testing. You may get him restricted to supervised visits.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 16, 2008, 06:01 AM
    The court wants what's best for the child, and I doubt they think spending a lot of time with a drug addict is good for the child. The judge will rule in favor of the child. You just be the best thing for him and show the judge that his father is not.

Best wishes
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2008, 06:26 AM
    No one can predict what a judge will do. But given the circumstances, you have a good chance of restricting him to supervised visitation. You have an outside chance of shutting him off from any visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depressed Angry Horrible Mom of adhd son with drug addict husband! [ 9 Answers ]

My life is past falling apart. Here's the background. My husband was abusive and an addict and gambler when I was pregnant. I left him and became a single mom living at my parents house. Things were OK here, I went back to college to get my degree and worked F/t. I worked really early to get...

Drug addict husband shows no remorse. [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been separated the last few months due to his continued drug use (heroin/opiates). He's been to several re-habs and has proved that he can get and stay clean in a controlled environment but never stays clean once he's out. I'm so mad at myself for always believing in him and...

Repercussions of being a drug addict [ 14 Answers ]

When you have a person who has been using heavy drugs every day, all day for more than 15 years And has totally lost their mind and touch of reality, Is there any hope that the brain will return to a normal working function if they were to get treatment? Or is their mind gone forever? Thanks...

Mother of 3 is a drug addict, I need to get rid of her stat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, guys. I come from a good family, but my mother (who had no say in raising me as my grandmother and father did the raising) of three kids, of whom I am the oldest, has developed a serious drug addiction. She has had this for a long time on and off but it has gotten unbearable to the point where...

Terminating drug addict dad? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother in Texas, and have a 20 month old little girl. Her father is a crack addict, and has been for the past two years. He's been to treatment and stayed sober for only 5 months and has chosen to resume his crack addiction. He is currently out panhandling, living on the streets, and...

View more questions Search