Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wramlal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Home gas furnace
    Hello

My gas home heating system turns of suddenly and the desired temperature has not been reached. This started happening 2 days ago.

When we go to bed we lower the temperature to 58 degrees and when we are up in the morning we raise the temperature to 68 degrees. Yesterday morning I raised the temperature to 68 degrees and the heat kicked off as expected but turned off unexpectedly at 62 degrees.
    I then jiggled the thermostat by turning it down to 50 and back up to 68 degrees and it kicked off and worked good all day. This morning the same thing happened. And I again juggled the thermostat by turning it down to 50 degrees and back up to 68 degrees and it came on again. We have one of those old circular mercury thermostat.

Can you tell me what you think may be the problem.

Thanks
    Wayne
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Mar 13, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Hi Wayne. I think you have answered your own question. Sounds like the T-stat is bad(Could be the anticipator is bad in the stat). This would explain the temp swings. You can get a decent replacement at home centers(Depot, Etc.) for around $40.00. The Honeywell Round T-stat is a good choice and widely available. They are easy to install. Just take your time and follow the instructions, especially turning off the furnace power before you start. There are only 4 wires that need to be hooked up... Good Luck...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Before I bought a new thermostat, I would check the furnace and wiring. Shut the power off, and pull the thermostat loose. Remove the red and white wires and connect them directly. When you turn the power on, the furnace should start a heat cycle and stay on as long as the wires are connected.

If the furnace shuts off before the house warms up, the problem is in the furnace or wiring. The furnace has a sensor that shuts the furnace off if it overheats. It could be going bad and shutting the furnace off when operating normally.

If the furnace runs normally until the house reaches the temperature you want, disconnect the red and white wire. You have a start on changing the thermostat.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Mar 13, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Yeah, let us know how it turns out...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 2 nights my furnace has been blowing out cold air. I have a furnace which is equipped with an ignition device which automatically lights the piolet. I did everything from cutting off the gas valve and power to furnace. When I restarted everything back up, the furnace came on but no air...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Gas furnace [ 14 Answers ]

Igot a 1972 carrer furnace it catches fire at the spud part of burner I got 11.5 inch watter column preasure on line you can cut it off turn it back on and it burns good blaze looks good I need some comet on air ajustment or what might be causing this I have cleaned the burners , thanks.

Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have what looks to be a old steam boiler. Any recommendations? I was told that I needed about 100,000 btu's. I know that I will have to get the system size correctly to be sure. But I wanted to find out if there is any particular brands that are good before I start getting quotes. I personal...

Furnace fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a forced-air gas furnace w/o AC and a simple dial-type heat-only thermostat.  How do I change my system so that I can manually operate the furnace fan when not calling for heat? Merlyn

View more questions Search