Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eilah23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Puppy poop overnight
    Hi, I have a very adorable beagle puppy who is now twelve weeks old. I have had him since he was seven weeks and am not crate training him... people used to be able to do that, right? Anyway, that is going fine. He hardly goes inside anymore during the day, but his room is the front porch, where he sleeps at night, and he goes there! He always pees on the pee pads, but poops where ever he likes! Any suggestions for getting him to poop on the pee pads?
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
    The way I have broke several dogs (including 2 stubborn weiner dogs, ha) is to take them over to the spot the messed on, say "NO" loud and clear, take them outside and sit them there. After a few times, they get the point. And when they do it right, pet them, baby talk, give them a treat... just make sure they know that they did it right!

With one dog, I had to take the poop outside and throw it in the yard. Every time they did it wrong, I would take them to the spot where I had been putting the poo, ha, it worked pretty quickly. And eventually they were only going in that area. Saves the yard and you're porch ;)
    fuzzyangelbear Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Yes, people have potty trained dogs with out crates. I have done both and I will have to say that a crate is the easiest. This the dogs sees as his "den" and they do not want to soil their den. Now remember, even 12 weeks old is pretty young for that puppy to comprehend what you are asking of it.

You also need to take into consideration the breed. My ex-husband use to raise and field trial beagles and they are the most stubborn and headstrong dogs I have come in contact with. We would keep the dogs in the house and night and at times it took a LONG time to get those beagle pups to be potty trained even in a crate.
    Eilah23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilah23
    Hi, I have a very adorable beagle puppy who is now twelve weeks old. I have had him since he was seven weeks and am not crate training him...people used to be able to do that, right? Anyway, that is going fine. He hardly goes inside anymore during the day, but his room is the front porch, where he sleeps at night, and he goes there! He always pees on the pee pads, but poops where ever he likes! Any suggestions for getting him to poop on the pee pads?
    Thanks boredINmind. I always thought it was bad to scold the puppy unless they had done their business right in front of you, but I like the idea of putting all the poo in one spot outside. I had been just throwing it away, which, come to think of it, has no valuable lesson in it. Thanks!
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2008, 11:25 PM
    For future reference, DOGS ARE NOT AS STUPID AS LINNEALAND SEEMS TO THINK! But then again leave it to someone that doesn't even have a suggestion (or a degree in vet meds) to knock on others suggestions.

Animals have been trained using these techniques in lab studies. Last time I tried to get food from the bowl I was shocked, this time I was shocked... Never does it again!

Maybe this person should read up on ole' Mr Skinner's work:
    A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: B.F. Skinner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy won't poop outside [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a six month old miniature pinscher. I have read that they are stubborn to housebreak. When I take him outside all he does is sniff around and eat bugs but will eventually pee. When he comes in, he sometimes poops within 5-10 min. I have even cought him squating and picked him up...

Puppy with blood in poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new Boston Terrier puppy, which has a little blood in his poop, he is current on all shots including parvo, the vet can find nothing wrong with him, does anyone have any answers?

Puppy poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a seven week old shih tzu and I want to make her training as simple for her as possible. She is OK during the day when it comes to peeing, our problem is that she is only pooping once a day and when we put her in her crate for the night she goes once more. She does not give us any indication...

Puppy poop [ 7 Answers ]

Does your dog or puppy's poop turn green (dark green) when they have eaten grass? Mine has eaten a lot of grass in the garden the last 2 days, and today her brown poop was half green.:confused: :D

Help! My poop puppy [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently adopted my dog a German Shep. X. from the local humane society and for the first four days she was great. So much energy. Now she won't eat a thing and keeps throwing up early in the morning. She is still pretty playful but you can see that she is tired. I brought her the vet and at...

View more questions Search