Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icandoit Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2006, 02:32 AM
    New mold resistant fiberglass sheetrock
    Hi,

I am redoing my basement bathroom and am ready to put up walls and ceiling. I've purchased the new fiberglass water resistant sheetrock for all of the walls and ceiling. The shower is a one piece fiberglass unit and the ceiling is low due to the overhead plumbing for the upstairs facilities. After I screwed in the sheetrock on the ceiling I stood back and could see just how low it really is... probably somewhere between about 6 1/2 to 7 feet.

So, now I am wondering if I should use durock there in stead of the sheetrock. I do plan on tiling the ceiling later on. I know it will get wet from the shower spray but being on the ceiling I figure most of the water will drip off and will not have a chance to soak into the sheetrock.

Wrong way of thinking? Should I go with the cement board?

Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks... Randy
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 13, 2006, 05:35 AM
    Don't worry about it. Your using water resistant sheetrock, right? Its on the ceiling. Paint it w/ mold/mildew resistant bath paint until you get to tiling it.
    It'll be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Sheetrock [ 3 Answers ]

What is 'fire tape'? Can 'green board' be used on ceilings? What are the various coatings on nails and screws and what are their uses?

Puppy resistant to walking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy approximately 14 weeks old. He is resistant to walking. He doesn't seem to have any particular fears to anything, however he grabs the lead in his mouth, refuses to walk, won't leave the yard, etc. When I try to get him to go he becomes somewhat aggressive and tries to bite my feet,...

Looking for sheetrock nails that don't rust! [ 7 Answers ]

I've installed quite a bit of sheetrock, and it seems that the nail heads always eventually rust, when located near a shower or tub. The screws do a much better job, but it sure seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to manufacture an aluminum alloy nail that would not rust. I've looked for...

View more questions Search