Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimba-lee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Divorced but stayed together
    I was divorced in 1989 but we stayed together till last July 2007. Everything was in his name. We bought a house I put down 1/2 the down payment and always worked and raised the kids. He did nothing around the house. Never lifted a finger. I also put several large chunks of money from settlements into the house. Now he has a girlfriend and he won't give me anythu=ing. I went back to get my thngs and he called the police. What do I do? I don't have money for an attorney. He has all the money and our house and our condo.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Why did you stay, and leave everything in his name, You will need an attorney, so find one to work on payments or something.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 14, 2008, 07:32 PM
    There isn't much you can do legally. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Unfortunately, I don't think an attorney would do you much good at recovering any money from him. He has it all in his name, so really, it does belong to him. Giving someone money is just that, a gift. If you loan them money, you get a promissory note. Good luck.
    Kimba-lee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 07:41 PM
    I stayed because we had twins. I felt I had a responsibility to them. My ex was physically and psycologically abusive. I finally left after the twins left for college and he started abusing me again. Now he won't even let me have any of my things. Also, he is turning the kids against me telling them I am trying to ruin him financially when in reality he is running up all his credit cards buying crap for the new girlfriend. I stayed with this jerk for 23 years.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Can you prove that you put the 1/2 of the downpayment on the condo? What about the "chunks of money from settlements"? If you can prove this financial contribution you will probably be getting this back. Definitely get an attorney involved in this if you are talking substantial amounts of money.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Hell Yes! You absolutely need to at least consult an attorney. I just meant that if it's gone, you may need to accept that and start over. Hey starting over isn't too bad, I've had plenty of practice at it. Anyway, call a local attorney for a consultation. The first visit is usually without charge as it is to see what your case is. You can find out your options, the projected costs, payment plans, etc at that time. Good luck, and I'll add a prayer for you.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Just curious: did you purchase the house before or after the divorce? "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 4, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Talk to an attorney, consultation can be free. You may have child support, alimony, and if the house was purchased during the marriage, you may be entitled to half. Stop assuming, guessing, and fretting, and seek the advice of a professional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone every stayed in Pisciotta Italy? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this group, and want to see if anyone has ever visited, or stayed in a b&b or hotel in the beautiful little town of pisciotta, italy? We will be flying into rome in October, and staying for 2-3 days, and Then moving on to other parts of italy. One of the places we had...

Stayed Less than 183 days in NJ on L1 [ 1 Answers ]

I stayed for less than 183 days in NJ on L1. I was in us from mid may 2007 till mid oct 2007. Presently I am in India. Do I need to file 1040 or 1040 NR? Will I be a part resident or Non-Resident for NJ? What is 1040 NR-EZ? Do I need to file it also?

Claiming my Mom as dependent( stayed for 3 months) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Friends. I am sure similar question must have been asked in other thread but mine is bit different. My Mom came to US with a visitor visa on Oct 24 2007 and stayed until Jan 24th 2008. Could I claim her as dependent while filing taxes? I am in process of getting ITIN number for her. ...

He stayed the night even though we are broke up [ 3 Answers ]

We broke up because I strayed he said no more chances though last night he came over we dranke wine and made love all night he stayed and said to me the more he knows me the more beautil I am to him

Married in California, divorced in Spain. How do I get divorced in CA? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in California in 1998 and moved to Spain where I got divorced in 2005 under Spain's Law. I've tried contacting the US consulate to validate my divorce, but they referred me to the County I got married in. The County has no clue, they tell me to show up there. How can I validate my...

View more questions Search