Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 06:39 PM
    401K deadline
    My company now allows us to deposit into a 401K pre-tax. Is Dec 31 the last day I can contribute or does it extend into April for the current tax year?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Yes, December 31 is indeed the last day you can contribute for a particular tax year. Keep in mind that a 401(k) plan is a form of deferred compensation plan, and your contributions are deferred from your pay as you earn it. Hence if you receive a paycheck on December 31, 2008, any 401(k) contributions deducted from that paycheck are considered to be for tax year 2008; if you receive a pay check on January 1 2009 deductions will be considered as part of tax year 2009's contributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN and Tax Return Deadline [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a residence in California. I just filled application for ITIN for my dependents together with my 1040 tax return and send it to Austin ITIN office in Texas on March 16, 2008 . Then I called the ITIN office and ask how long it will take for them to give ITIN for my dependents and they...

Individual Estmated Tax deadline [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for not sending in the ES payment in time? i.e. for 2nd qtr 2007, the deadline is June 15th, which I totally missed :) Considering that this is just an estimated, as long as I include enough $ in the payment, it should be OK?

Statistics & Probability Cont'd. Deadline 4/19/07! [ 1 Answers ]

Ch 15 J2. In formulating hypotheses for a statistical test of significance, the null hypothesis is often K2. In their advertisements, the manufacturers of a certain brand of oatmeal would like to claim that eating their oatmeal for breakfast daily will produce a mean decrease in cholesterol...

View more questions Search