Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Tim Russert, dead at 58
    I'm very upset about the death of Tim Russert; he was a quality journalist, a man with character and integrity and a *real* love for his country. He lived his ethical/moral code and was a quality example to others.

Here is to you, Tim!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Real shame at such a young age,
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 12:29 PM
    And, before the Presidential election; he was so looking forward to help cover the election this fall. Really untimely.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
    A bright star within his profession has been extinguished; but an opportunity for a new light has emerged. Thanks, Choux.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Very sad.

Just knowing that his son and father are left to grieve, so close to fathers day, is heartbreaking!

He will be missed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Hello Choux:

Yup. I liked him. Why couldn't this happen to Novak or somebody like that? Ok, I don't want him dead either - sick maybe..

Russert was younger than me. He worked out. He just got checked out by his doctor..

I'm going for another walk on the beach.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Choux:

Yup. I liked him. Why couldn't this happen to Novak or somebody like that? Ok, I don't want him dead either - sick maybe..

Russert was younger than me. He worked out. He just got checked out by his doctor..

I'm going for another walk on the beach.

excon
    Grab another glass of red wine; cheers!
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jun 14, 2008, 02:44 PM

Tim Russert

He did a great job and provided excellent commentary!
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Such a quality individual... we miss you Tim!!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 02:20 AM
    I admired his tenacity during interviews . To me that is how Q and A sessions should be conducted .Much better than fluff interviews like Katie Couric or one sided ones like Keith Olberman conducts.

Russert clearly loved his family . He admired and emulated his father's work ethic. In his book about his old man Russert noted that when he retired his father still had 200+ sick days available. When he asked him why ;his father responded "because I wasn't sick". Russert just last week had to put his father into a nursing home which added to the stess of a very busy week.

For years I have made the time to either watch 'Meet the Press' or read it's transcripts.. It was Russert who single-handedly made that program a" must see".Yes it is an opportunity for someone else... my bet is David Gregory(I hope it isn't that blowhard Chris Matthews).But Russert left large shoes to fill.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 11:10 AM
    His show Meet the Press was a must see for me... he pressed all his political guests for truthful answers... I'm still sick about this.

I bet they will ask Tom Brokaw to be the interim substitute, but he is not confrontational. I don't know who on the horizon they are going to choose. This has always been a show of the highest integrity.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 02:30 AM
    Brokaw ? Perhaps but you noted his weakness . The reason I though Gregory is that he is confrontational . If he can set aside his biases then he could do the job. Another possibility would have Brian Williams fill in.

Let's face it ;Russert made the show what it is. I will probably switch to Chris Wallace's Sunday show .

BTW :did you see the classless way Chris Matthews remembered Russert on Olberman's show ? Matthews went on an anti-war rant comparing Russert to the “American people” in being fooled by the Bush administration into supporting the war.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 01:51 PM
    No I didn't see that, Tom... Chris can be, hmmm, too goal oriented? LOL!

Yeah, Gregory can be forceful... but, can he see all sides-do the research that a quality show need? Brian Williams... Bah.

Maybe, an non media person? I have no idea who.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 02:26 AM
    I don's see anyone in the ranks at NBC who could do the job... David Shuster ? Naaaahh Andrea Mitchell... ready to pack it in.

Guess we'll see Sunday but I bet whoever fills in will be temporary.

Dostoevsky said that all Russian authors came out from Gogol's overcoat, and clearly legions of cable news hosts have come out from under Russert's. Whatever limitations there are to his approach, it's unlikely his successor will improve upon them. Rather, we'll probably get more of what much of television news already is -- broadcasting a la Russert, but without the full measure of skill and commitment of the master himself.
    Matthew Yglesias (of Atlantic Magazine)

The video of Mathew's melt down is here :
    Hot Air » Blog Archive » Stay classy, Chris Matthews
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Thanks for the quote.

I read today that Meet the Press had $60 million dollars a week in advertising revenue. A lot is at stake for NBC here. Plus, a waiting list for advertisers!

Keeping that in mind, I think they might go with Chris Matthews and "clean him up" a little because he has high ratings for cable, and Americans like the excitement of confrontation.

For now, I'm going with Chris Matthews.

I think they are grooming Rachel Maddow for a spot as a moderator... She has lots of excellent TV qualities for a difficult job like that.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Chris Matthews is far and away too transparent a 'liberal' and lacks Russert's professional training to mask his agenda for supporting left-wing causes. They could return Meet The Press to its former format, with a host and several journalists questioning the guest. It's become very difficult to find journalists with ethics these days. Most likely candidate with the necessary gravitas: Bill O'Reilly: http://www.billoreilly.com/g/Bill's-Bio/515.html
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    It's become very difficult to find journalists with ethics these days. Most likely candidate with the necessary gravitas: Bill O'Reilly: http://www.billoreilly.com/g/Bill's-Bio/515.html
    Hello George:

You had me right up until the end. Bwa, ha ha ha ha. O'Reilly is a buffoon.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:11 AM
    O'Reilly is long-standing laughing stock fodder on the internet for various reasons, but currently for this:

Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
    I agree with Choux . NBC has no one else even close to Russert ;but Matthews has audience. I even watch his show. That should give a tingle up his leg.
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Bill O?? he is a blowhard, screamer, and a bully who shouts and overtalks guests... he is strictly entertainment, no class, no morality, no integrity... and his ratings are going down. His audience average age is around 60... screaming BS for timid seniors who like to hate minorities.

BWAH HA HA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeing The Dead [ 35 Answers ]

Hi , I'm 15 , recently been very ill for 4 weeks with bad headaches , since I've been ill I've started seeing people , weird strange people , lately I've noticed these people are dead since I saw my uncle who passed away a year ago , This also happened when I was about 7 , my parents thought I...

They Want You Dead [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a DVD of the film/documentary by Alex Jones called, "ENDGAME." What a history of the Bilderberg Group - I knew they existed but never knew the exact name. Any thoughts? Truth or fiction (concerning this group)? Agenda of this group? If the film is correct... what do you see...

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

Seeing dead? [ 5 Answers ]

Hiya all, I'm quite new to this, I'm going through a pretty hard time at the moment, one of my Aunty's son's died at the weekend, I'm pretty close to her. I went to see her and behind her, at a glance, I saw this man standing behind her with his hand on her shoulder. When I got home I mentioned...

View more questions Search