Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toastisamazing Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Wireless Intertnet Can't Renew IP address
    Hi,
    So I bought a used laptop: it's a Latitude D505 with XP.
    When I try to connect to my wireless internet, which works on my other DELL computer, the symbol in the task bar that it has an excellent connection.
    However, when I go into Internet Explorer, it says that I am not connected to the internet.
    I tried right-clicking on the wireless internet symbol and clicking repair, and it said that it could not renew my IP address.
    What do I do to connect to my internet? Please help! Thank you! :]
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Sounds like an encryption issue rather than anything else.
    Also check to make sure you wireless adapter is DHCP enabled.

Jun 14, 2008, 11:12 AM
    How do I do that? I'm not very good with computers...
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jun 14, 2008, 11:15 AM
    IF DHCP enabled, check your router too and see if it will dynamically issue more than 1 IP address. By default the router will issue at least 50 addresses. Also, check to see that you do have a connection by the router. There is a tab on the router's page that allows you to see actual connections of computers connected.

Jun 15, 2008, 11:22 AM
    How do I get to the router's page?
    I'm sorry, but I'm completely computer illiterate
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jun 15, 2008, 08:21 PM
    The router usually is at address 192.168.1.1... open a browser and type this in and see if you can get into the router software portal... the id is usually admin with a password of blank.

Did it work?

Jun 17, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Yes, it did work, and the DHCP is enabled, but it still does not work
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 17, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Click on Start, Control Panel and look for Dell Wireless Utilities. At the top of the settings in the Wireless Networks tab, you will see a checkbox for Let this tool manage your wireless settings. Is this, checked? If it is, the Windows Wireless Network Configuration Wizard is NOT in control of your wireless adapter. You will need to use the Dell utility to connect to your wireless networks. Look in the Link Status tab for more information regarding yor connection.

If you have previous connections in the list of Preferred Networks, delete them all so that you will know if your wireless card is connecting to your connection and not trying to connect to someone else's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot renew my IP address for my wireless network [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone Can you help me? I cannot renew my IP address for my wireless network. I can find my wireless network in range when I search and when I type in my password which I know is correct I cannot renew my ip address and when I then repair my network it does not work as it stops...

I can't renew my ip address [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a wireless usb adapter and a router to my desktop. When I did the ping and ipconfig /release, everything seem OK but when I try to do a ipconfig /renew I get an error message. When I check network connection I see limited or no connectivity. I have a wireless connection on my laptop but...

Cannot renew IP Address - Wireless; laptop; XP Pro [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to add a 2nd wireless connection to my home network that currently hosts one wireless and one ethernet connection. The computer is a Compaq Presario R3000 that has been successfully networked at our former home for about two years. However; that was with a different...

Can't Renew IP Address [ 11 Answers ]

I have Verizon Fios on my desk top and two laptop computers. One laptop connects automatically, np. The other laptop will not connect, (OS is Windows XP). I have used the commands ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. It will release but not renew. So I went to- My network...

Can't renew my IP address [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have broadband cable Internet that keeps going off - I believe it's because my IP address won't renew - or that's what it says. I've tried renewing it and it won't work - when I do 'ipconfig' the address starts with 169 and I'm led to believe it should start with a 192 (according to my...

View more questions Search