Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heather brown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Tiling my bathrrom floor
    I am putting ceramic tile on my bathroom floor and bought 1/4 inch backerboard. I didn't put thinset underneath the backerboard between the tongue and groove sub floor. I did use the proper screws to anchor down the board but I am worried about the problem of not having thinset underneath?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 13, 2006, 06:05 AM
    The toungue and groove, this plywood or old t&g 1x boards? If over plywood you'll be OK. Just make sure its secured well. If over 1x boards it is recommended that thinset be used. The thinset helps bond but also "level" the 1/4" backerboard over uneven types of subfloors.
    I thinset 1/4" all the time. If I used 1/2" it depends what type of floor I'm going over if I thinset it or not because its thicker and wont follow the "contours" of the subflloor as much as 1/4" will.
    So basically if you subfloor is level and smooth, don't worry about it. Start tiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiling my basement bathroom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to begin tiling my bathroom. The size is approximately 5x12 with one pocket door leading to another room. I'll be laying 16x16 ceramic tile, and I have a few questions. 1. Should I cut the tile along the wall where the door is to allow the tile to extend into the doorway? I do...

Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? Mud and tape?

Hot floor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello The floor in my downstairs bathroom feels hot. And also the faucet upstairs has a hiss like sound. And when I open my cold water ,I get hot water for 20-30 seconds then back to cold. I hope there is no leak under the house.thanks

Tiling question [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my first bathroom. I am planing on tiling the shower/tub.. my question is the transition from tile to painted wall.. with the cement backer do I butt it up to drywall? What do I do about the seam? I plan on tiling to the ceiling to avoid this problem there, but what about the sides?...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

View more questions Search