Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilcuddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2006, 10:30 AM
    How to "finish" an unfinshed, covered patio?
    I want to "finish" my unfinished covered patio, which is fairly large in size.

It presently has only large openings covered by roll screen, and all of the rafters and support framing are exposed.

My initial plan was to cover all of those rafters & support structures, leaving it as a screened patio only. But, that would mean a lot of water getting in & the contractors who came out felt that would be a problem. So, I changed my plans to include windows.

So far, I've only gotten one quote - $10,600. The guy was calling me from the road, so he couldn't tell me what portion of that was for the windows, but, he said they're a big chunk of it because he's using NEW CONSTRUCTION WINDOWS, rather than REPLACEMENT WINDOWS. He feels this is adviseable because the supports that will serve as my window sills do not tilt downward as they should, but, rather, are either flat, or even pitched a bit the wrong direction, and he's concerned that replacement windows would allow water to get between the greenwood & the outer wall of the patio.

It's been raining really hard today & I went out to look at the water on my patio. Given what I'm seeing (It seeps underneath the very bottom of the patio, AND, it is also running down along the walls in some places), I'm getting rather leery of putting a lot of money into this project, only to have it ruined by water.

I'm looking for suggestions. I'm wondering if there isn't some type of material that could be used to cover these walls so that if water DID seep under the patio, or run down between the inner & outer walls, it wouldn't damage it as it would with drywall or greenwood.

I'd also like your advice on using replacement vs. new construction windows, given the concerns mentioned above, as well as recommendations of BRANDS of windows to consider and/or avoid. I'm already staying away from Anderson & Pella because they cost too much. But, I do still want a window that functions well. I will be getting a combination of large double-hungs, and large casements.

I hope you can answer these questions for me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sue
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2006, 04:30 AM
    I can't give much detail on a complex job like that, but I can say this:

I'd be very leery of a guy who says "new construction windows" versus "replacement windows". That's a load of bunk. You need new windows, period.

For a job like this, get 4-5 estimates and with each one, be sure they are reputable, so you can be sure it's done right - and to code. Also be sure they spell out the details of each step to include itemized pricing on the windows.

Hope this helps a bit :o
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 13, 2006, 05:50 AM
    You should correct your water entry problems first. Why put a lot of money into a project and have it ruined by water. Your right on that.
    The window sills, they wood? The contractor can't straighten them out? Windows are made to self drain themselves. He can always shim the sills if needed under the windows.
    Get more estimates like rickj said. Be leery of this guy.
    As for windows, if they're vinly windows, the difference between "replacement" and "new construction" is there is a nailing flange on a new construction window. You nail in a new construction window where you screw in a replacement.
    The Pellas and Andersons are expensive but their vinyl windows are not too bad. You should just use vinyl windows for the porch because if you can't control the water at least you won't ruin expensive windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search