Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earlh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Aquariun cycling
    I have a 45 gallon tank of fresh water fish. I started the cycle process 6 weeks ago. I started with too many fish because I believed the hype about the speed of cycling using live bacteria. It did blow through the ammonia stage but then there was a nitrite spike of about 5 mg/l. Through 25% water changes and more live bacteria, it is down to 1/8 of 1 mg/l. It has been stuck there for about a week. Another 25% water change hasn't helped. What can I do to help it complete the cycle?

Thanks for any help
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
    I am just going to post here to give this a bump and hopefully someone will be able to help you with your aquarium.:)
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Hi you,
    You're actually doing the only thing you can do and that is to do small partial water changes and wait.
    Once the nitrite level spikes to it's highest point, it will begin to fall and you will notice a nitrate reading.
    Once the nitrate reading is present and the nitrite level drop to 0ppm, the tank is fully cycled.
    Good luck, not much longer now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A/c cycling too often [ 3 Answers ]

Just installd a honeywell thermostat (rth230b) it run until it reaches the set temp. then it shut off then it comes right back on within seconds. Please give some advice on what could be problem. Thanks

Flame cycling! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Temstar NUGK100DH08 gas HVAC. The unit lights then flame dies down, re-ignights and continues this. Temperature set at 72*. Flame doesn't appear to be rolling out. Exhaust motor is running O.K. and no vacume leak. Does anyone know what's wrong. Thks Mike!

Heatin cycling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a comfortMaker RDPJII mfg date 92. It will not stay lite after the blower comess on it shut off and start over again

Furnace cycling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane gas furnace w/no standing pilot it's electronic. Anyway when the t-stat calls for heat it will fire up and the shut of within 5 secs. It will do this approx. 4 times before it will eventually lock itself out and the blower will continue to run not ever reaching setpoint. I know...

Fan Keeps Cycling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier central A/C and a Propane FAG furnace in my basement. The problem is that after the A/C or furnace has shut off, the fans continue to cycle off and on just as if the A/C or furnace was still running.:mad: Sometimes the fans (there is 2 of them, I believe) run continuously and...

View more questions Search