Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonia1716 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Complicated situation
    My son is now 10 yrs old, his father left for work when I was 5 months pregnant and never returned. When my son was born he had my maiden name until he was a month old at which time his grandfather (dad's dad) pressured his father into signing the paper work to have their last name. He did see our son every once in a while but that's been over 8 yrs ago now. His father started paying child support when he was a yr old per a judges order and has continued to pay but doesn't care to have any contact with him. The state orders him to carry insurance on my son and he does but it's a fight to get anything done with it. Every time my son has to go to the doctor or has an emergency we (me & the doctors) have to fight with the insurance company and hunt the father down to get the necessary papers signed and insurance process going. What's the use of having the insurance if we can't use it when needed?? Anyway I would like to get the process started to have his parental rights terminated. I believe he would do this without argument, if I can find him & his family now... Would this be granted in court if he agrees and I agree? Even though he pays childsupport and has insurance on my son it's more of a hindrance then help... I just had an episode today with a $450 doctor bill that the insurance sent the payment to the father (not the doctor) over 2 months ago and of course he didn't send it to the doctor, so now I'm stuck with this bill :mad:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonia1716
    My son is now 10 yrs old, his father left for work when I was 5 mths pregnant and never returned. When my son was born he had my maiden name until he was a month old at which time his grandfather (dad's dad) pressured his father into signing the paper work to have their last name. He did see our son every once in a while but that's been over 8 yrs ago now. His father started paying child support when he was a yr old per a judges order and has continued to pay but doesn't care to have any contact with him. The state orders him to carry insurance on my son and he does but it's a fight to get anything done with it. Every time my son has to go to the doctor or has an emergency we (me & the doctors) have to fight with the insurance company and hunt the father down to get the necessary papers signed and insurance process going. What's the use of having the insurance if we can't use it when needed??? Anyways I would like to get the process started to have his parental rights terminated. I believe he would do this without arguement, if I can find him & his family now.... Would this be granted in court if he agrees and I agree? Even though he pays childsupport and has insurance on my son it's more of a hinderance then help... I just had an episode today with a $450 doctor bill that the insurance sent the payment to the father (not the doctor) over 2 mths ago and of course he didn't send it to the doctor, so now I'm stuck with this bill :mad:

It is not all that easy to terminate his rights - nor do I see any point to it. There are lots of posts on the subject here if you search them out - many by State.

So go back to Court, explain the problem, you should have your son's insurance card, ask for reimbursement of what you have paid on your son's behalf that if your ex's responsibility.

You also cannot force him to have contact with your son - but I'm sure you already know that.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 16, 2008, 06:12 AM
    If the father agrees to sign him over, then it shouldn't really be a problem. You should consult a lawyer, but I forsee lots of parerwork if you go through with it.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smokedetector
    If the father agrees to sign him over, then it shouldnt really be a problem. You should consult a lawyer, but i forsee lots of parerwork if you go through with it.

It is not true that the father can simply "sign him over," at least not in any States I know.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 16, 2008, 06:20 AM
    This is actually not very complicated. If you browse through the Family Law forum, you will find dozens if not hundreds of very similar posts.

What I don't understand is what you think you will gain by terminating his rights, in the unlikely event it would be granted. That will mean you have to pay the insurance on your own and it may mean cessation of child support. Right now the father is not exercising his parental rights, so what difference would terminating them make.

As far as health insurance, has the father changed jobs a lot? If he hasn't I don't understand the hassle. Once it signs up for insurance listing his son as a covered party, then you should get as medical card for him. There should then be no hassle. I can see a problem if he changes jobs so his coverage changes and he doesn't list your son initially.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 16, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Ok I could be wrong about how easy it is, but I know it's possible. When I was adopted they had to get my dad to sign over parental rights, and it seemed easy enough to me then, but I probably didn't know everything that went into it. Of course, it may be different for adoptions or in Texas or even 15 years ago when it happened. In any case, I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

Jun 16, 2008, 09:01 AM
    I know it's possible. When I was adopted they had to get my dad to sign over parental rights, and it seemed easy enough to me then
    That IS a different story. Generally a TPR is granted in only two scenarios, to clear the way for an adoption or if the parent is a danger to the child. If the TPR is to allow a stepparent to adopt, then it generally is easy. The bio parent simply signs a relinquishment form and may have to appear in court to affirm that he is voluntarily relinquishing his rights. But the courts will mostly rubber stamp such a scenario.

But the OP didn't say anything about an adoption. She just wanted to sever rights. A court is not likely to grant that.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Ok I could be wrong about how easy it is, but I know it's possible. When I was adopted they had to get my dad to sign over parental rights, and it seemed easy enough to me then, but I probably didnt know everything that went into it. Of course, it may be different for adoptions or in Texas or even 15 years ago when it happened. In any case, I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

I didn't see anything about adoption - I only saw surrendering rights.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
    I think you need to rethink what you wish as this will cause more problems down the road. The inconvenience with the insurance and health providers bills being paid can be worked out by going back to court and having the judge order the bills to be paid. Once this is done, maybe ex won't keep doing this and get the idea to pay the bills or forward them to his insurance company. You should have instructed the health provider's office to send the bills to the insurance company. You are partially at fault on this one for not giving them explicit instructions on how to get paid.

Jun 17, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    You should have instructed the health provider's office to send the bills to the insurance company. You are partially at fault on this one for not giving them explicit instructions on how to get paid.
    Where did you get any indication she didn't do this? In fact she said that "me & the doctors" have to fight for payment. Please read the posts more carefully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pretty complicated situation. [ 5 Answers ]

All right, let me try and summarize the situation as best I can before asking my questions (of which I have many... ). Kind of a while back, I met this girl in school, and I fell in love with her. Like, really in love; I've never met another girl that made me feel the way she makes me feel. Thing...

Very complicated situation. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a F1 International Student and I've been here 6 years. I work on campus and every year I file 1040NREZ and so did this year. Then I realize that I am considered resident alien and should file 1040 instead. The mind bugging thing is that if I had filed 1040, I could have been eligible to...

Complicated (at least to me) tax situation [ 1 Answers ]

Here’s the situation, created by equal parts fear, confusion and ignorance. In 1999 got married to a Norwegian citizen and moved to Norway. I didn’t file taxes for that year (I just forgot. I am not even sure about the year before, since I have this weird “form phobia” that it takes me forever...

Very complicated situation, please help! [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I became an independent contractor of a financial company in May, 2004 while I was still on my F-1. But I did not make any income with them until late 2004, when I already changed my status to OPT. Then in February 2005, I found a full-time job and stopped working at...

Complicated situation [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have a friend of mine who was here on h1B visa before 3 yrs due to slow down in computer field he was not employed and did not pay any taxes, He is now working and his employer is going to pay all the taxes,Is this going to be problem for him since no tax was reported to IRS before....

View more questions Search