Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talent4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 03:50 PM
    $5,000 in debt
    I currently have 5K in debt on a few credit cards. One card is coming after me for $2,100 dollars. It is a bank card where I also have my checking and savings account. I have been avoiding their calls and their deals to settle because I do not have the money. Can they sue me for this amount or set a judgment against me? The last call said that if I do not call by the 18th then they will “make the necessary arrangements for my account.
    PLEASE HELP!!
    Thank you,:confused:
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jun 13, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Its never a good idea to avoid creditors. I found this out the hard way. If you contact them and talk to them about your situation and see if you can get some different options it makes a great big difference. That way you can say "hey, I'm trying, give me an option" and most of the time they WILL work with you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 04:50 PM
    First double check your credit card agreement make sure they do not have some agreement in the paper work that allows them to take the money out of your accounts for this debt.

But if you owe the money, yes they can sue you, take you to court, add collection fees, add attorney fees and court fees. After that if they win, and if you owe it, they will. They will get a judgement.
    Working out a payment plan is what you need to do
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jun 13, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Yes, TRY to work out a payment plan BEFORE it goes to court because once the creditor gets a judgement they have little reason to settle with you. If a judgement is granted then you are in for a world of trouble because they will "freeze" your bank accounts and if your state allows they will garnish your wages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that...

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance? [ 3 Answers ]

Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report...

View more questions Search