Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VictorLy Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Jun 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Rabbit Acting Strangely (Breathing Difficulty, Maybe?)
    Hello,
    I hope you are well. I adopted a very young bunny (a few weeks old at the most) from a local shelter last night. About 10 minutes ago, the bunny started acting a bit strange. It started walking around its cage with its head held upward, and it opened and closed its mouth continuously.

I thought it was a breathing problem, but from what I understand, rabbits can only breathe through their nose and not their mouth. The bunny walked around and finally landed in its water bowl (its never gone into the water bowl before and doesn't like getting wet, from what I can tell), then calmed down a bit. Weirdly enough, it didn't even seem to mind the water and just sat there for at least three minutes before I picked it up and took it out of the bowl. It seems fine now, but I'm still worried. Any thoughts about what went on with my baby bunny?

Thanks,
    Victor Ly
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 10:23 PM
    I do know allot about rabbits, but health problems, not so much.
    Here's a site I found that might be able to help you.

Rabbits: Bunny Breathing and Depression, rabbit vet, sick rabbit
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Jun 30, 2008, 10:40 AM
    I'm no expert, but I'm a vet tech and I've noticed that the behavior you described (strange behavior of holding head up high, opening and closing the mouth) is either a seizure or last dying gasps, so if your bunny hasn't already past then you need to take him to a vet, if you haven't done so already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Difficulty in breathing [ 10 Answers ]

I smoke, and drink large amounts of caffine. At night when I am trying to drift off to sleep I have a terrifying feeling.. on and off for the first hour, it feels like no air is going in my lungs and it feels like my heart stops for around 3 seconds, in response to this horrible feeling I gasp...

Difficulty in breathing [ 2 Answers ]

Good day to you all. I am a 43-old female. I have been diagnosed with Mixed Connective tissues diorder seven years ago. I have been through different phases, non was severe, but all annoying-enough. Working in addition to all social obligtions as a wife and mother, and most of the time you keep it...

Cat acting strangely [ 9 Answers ]

My 1 year old female cat who I think might be pregnant has been acting strangely today. She follows me around constantly and has been meowing with a low grunt like meow like she's hungry but when I feed her she doesn't eat. She also has been trying to take me to place under or behind the couch and...

View more questions Search