Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srpiccollo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement
    We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out of the drain. We tried plunging it, using draino and it doesn't seem to help. It is coming up (slower now) and every day we are sucking up the water with a wet/dry shop vac. Any one know what to do? Any ideas what this is and how to fix it? Thanks!!

I thought I should also give a little more info. The house is from the 50s, the water coming up has no smell, is clear but looks like dirt or black stuff is also coming up.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I need to get a few thing cleared up before I can help. This is a floor drain, right? Do you have a sump pump? Do you floor drains go to the sump or to the city sewer? Have you looked into these Flood guards for floor drains - check valve to prevent flooding from FAMOUS PLUMBING SUPPLY
    srpiccollo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Yes, it is a floor drain. No we do not have a sump pump. The floor drains go to the city. No, I haven't looked into anything else yet. I was told by family to buy a sump pump and call the city. The city was no help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 14, 2008, 06:13 AM
    I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out of the drain. The floor drains go to the city. The water coming up has no smell, is clear but looks like dirt or black stuff is also coming up.
    Which makes me wonder if there isn't a break in the line allowing ground water and dirt to enter the drain line. You could install a floor drain Flood Guard, (see image)as Bob suggested. I would send a snake down the floor drain just to see what it brought back. A lot of dirt in the drain line would tend to indicate a broken pipe. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming out of basement shower and flooding basement [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home about 2 months ago, and immediately there were flooding issues in the basement. At first I wasn't sure why the carpet in the middle of the basement was getting soaked. Now I see that the water is coming from the shower drain in the basement bathroom. This happened after the...

Water leaking to basement only when using shower, not tub [ 1 Answers ]

When I use my shower, I have a very small amount of water leaking to the basement (a small puddle on floor). It NEVER happens when the tub is used for a bath. It has a fiberglass surround that was installed about 6 years ago, but the leak just started about 4 months ago, and doesn't seem to...

Water leaking in basement [ 2 Answers ]

When I use my outside faucet water leaks in my basement . No apparent leakes outside

Basement gray water drain [ 1 Answers ]

My gray water drain in my basement is not draining well.I used a snake to try and fix it .pulling the snake out I found small roots and some plant material.. what should I do?

Basement drain backing up with rain water? [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1937. There's a basement drain near one corner that has never flooded. I have a dehumidifier parked over the top of it that drains into it (and has done so for about 10 years; I've also drained hot water tank and boiler into it as needed, so it works). The last two heavy...

View more questions Search