Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    i can't imagine a belly dancer thinking their body is bad. most use their body for personal gain by performing dances. so something is just not adding up here. get on top and ride.

Actually, a lot of women join belly dancing to help themselves esteem, especially in the US. I know that's one of the reasons *I* started. And a lot of us never perform. Belly dance is a GREAT form of exercise, it uses many of the same muscles as Yoga, and is really a great way to spend a couple hours every week.

Your post is part of the misconception that many belly dancers have to overcome. You must be used to the kinds of thin women that you see on Belly Dance Superstars, which is an American model of the dancer. True Raks Sharki, Egyptian belly dance, is a FOLK dance, much the same way a Polka is a folk dance of Germany. You would never say a polka dancer 'uses their body for personal gain by performing dances', even a professional one. And dance is an art--you'd NEVER say that a ballerina uses her body for personal gain!

A belly dancer has the same hangups as any other kind of dancer or performer. The ONLY kind of dancer I would say uses their body for personal gain by performing dances is a stripper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fear [ 10 Answers ]

I'm going around with a guy... and we love each other a lot... wenever I'm with him... I feel as I'm in heaven... he cares a lot... and so do I... and we are very much attached to each other now... but sometimes... I have this feeling that whether we will have a happy ending or not?? because my...

Still fear him [ 2 Answers ]

When I was a child 8 to 13 I was getind raped by my aunts boyfriend.Now I fear everyman.even my husband. He took what meant the most to me. I'm scared to go out I'm scared to be alone. My mom never did put him in jail and I see him allmost everyday of my life and all I know to do is cry and I...

I have fear [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There,I Love One Sister From Our Church,but The Time I Want To Propose Her, Fear Comes Along And I Will Start Talking About Godly Things.when We Part I Will Be Frusrated And Blaming Myself.while Im Alone I Will Think On How To Say I Love You,but When We Meet Fear Comes Again.what And How Should...

Fear? [ 4 Answers ]

This may sound strange, but if I walk into a room with a ceiling fan that I going, I just freeze up, my heart starts pounding, and I have to literally force myself out of the room. If I am in the room, and the fan is not on, I'm fine, but as soon as someone turns it on, I practically run out of...

View more questions Search