Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wookie2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Theft under $5000 - 18 years old
    So I'm 18 years old from ontario canada, went to sobeys and stole a cat food dish which cost about 5-6 dollars. I got caught and being charged for theft under $5000. This is the first time I got involved with the law or any crminal acts. And now I have to go to court. I don't have a lawyer because I can't afford one.
    If I plead guilty what will happen to me?
    How much will I be charged for this act?
    Will I be on probation?
    Will I have to do community hours instead of pay the fine, or do I do both?
    How can avoid from getting a criminal record?

Any advice would be highly grateful.

I don't want my family to know because I want to handel this on my own, and if they found out I would be in so much trouble and may be kicked out of the house, cause they'll be to embarrassed to have me in their home
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2008, 07:25 AM
    It this is your first offence you will most likely be offered diversion at your first court date which means you will have no criminal record. You may have to attend some classes or do some community service. If they do not offer this, then you should seek a lawyer. Duty counsel will be on duty to help you with free advice.

Jun 17, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Thanks for your input emery
    So before the court date, I have to do some finger print and photo thingy.
    What do I havto wear?
    How long will it take? On the sheet it says 9-6. and they circled pm. So is it 9pm till 6 am?

Jun 17, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Theft under $5000 - 18 years old don't know what to do
    So I'm 18 years old from ontario canada, went to sobeys and stole a cat food dish which cost about 5-6 dollars. I got caught and being charged for theft under $5000. This is the first time I got involved with the law or any crminal acts. And now I have to go to court. I don't have a lawyer because I can't afford one.

How much would lawyers cost?

Should I go to court, on the date that was set?

I also have a set date for finger print/photo at police station, what should I do, what should I wear?

On the paper it says 9-6, and they circled pm. Does that mean I have to be their 9pm and stay there till 6 am?

If I plead guilty what will happen to me?

How much will I be charged for this act?

Will I be on probation?

Will I have to do community hours instead of pay the fine, or do I do both?

How can avoid from getting a criminal record?

What is the best thing for me to do?

Any advice would be highly grateful.

I don't want my family to know because I want to handel this on my own, and if they found out I would be in so much trouble and may be kicked out of the house, cause they'll be to embarrassed to have me in their home
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
    There are a lot of posts on this site about first time shop lifters from Ontario Canada
    Most end up saying the Queen had them take Diversions/Alternatives classes and then go before her again.
    Some say they didn't have to pay any fines.
    Your record should be sealed and if you don't get in any further trouble you can ask about getting your record expunged eventually.
    Some of the previous posts are at the bottom of this page.

Jun 17, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Thank you for your input, it helps
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2008, 05:41 AM
    You can wear just normal casual clothes but I think they mean in the afternoon, I think they mean 9:00 am to 6:00 pm but you could call to make sure about the hours.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Posting twice, 90 minutes - give or take - apart does not give you any different answers and is confusing -

Jul 5, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Does anyone know how long these usually take in court?
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Whatever you wear make sure it looks nice.

It shouldn't take more than a couple to a few hours depending how many people they call ahead of you.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jul 5, 2008, 04:49 PM
    If you can't afford a lawyer as for legal aid its free and they can't deny you it
    teddygmoney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 08:09 PM
    I am 18 yrs old from Washington, and I got cought stealing beer from ampm and got charged with mip, ressisting arrest and theft in the third degree.this is my 2nd time going to court what am I looking at?
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
    You do better starting a new post than going off someone else's post
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    You do better starting a new post than going off of someone else's post

Oh, too funny -

Anyway, the 3rd degree charge is a misdemeanor. What were the other charges - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000, first offender, 21 years old, Toronto, ON [ 16 Answers ]

Last week, I made a mistake to try and steal paint worth about $100 from home depot, I was caught and brought into the back. They called the cops, and they gave me a ticket and made me promise to visit the cop station on a date 4 weeks later for fingerprinting, and a court date 6 weeks later that...

Theft Under 5000/ Only 14 years old [ 12 Answers ]

So the other day My kid brother did stupid Stuff He Went To Wal - mart And decided To Steal 29.99 Headphones... He was easily caught and apprehended, police were called and he was given a ticket He has to go appear in court now, but he has a lot of worries / troubles As do I. I need to know...

First time offense theft under 5000 dollars 16 years old [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my friends took it from a house which we thought was abbandoned but wasn't so we took some stuff which ended up being worth 1500 bucks the cops know its us and were turnign the stuff and ourselves in very soon so what will we get please help I'm 16 no priors I'm really a good kid Saratoga...

Theft Under 5000: 19 Years [ 3 Answers ]

2 days ago I was caught shoplifting at a 24 hour grocery store with some friends. The police charged me with Theft under 5000 and possession under 5000. This is my first offence. I am scheduled to appear in court in April. Is there any way this incident can stay off my record? I've heard of an...

Theft under $5000 from 5 years ago [ 8 Answers ]

On one particular day in February 2002, I had went to Zellers and stupidly attempted to steal a cheap $20 camera. I subsequently got caught by security, the police was called and I was issued a bunch of papers. Note: I was only a kid then, and the Young Offenders Act was still in place. I...

View more questions Search