Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laineyuk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
    My rabbit has had 1 baby
    Hi could someone help. My rabbit had a litter of 6 kits but sadly they all died as the mother had no milk. I have never dealt with this before and was told by the vet to keep away from mum and babies and only to go near to feed mum. By the time I took them to vet it was too late. Now 7 weeks on she has just given birth again to 1 baby. Is this normal for a rabbit to have only 1? They are housed in a hutch outside in my garden shed but I'm afraid of baby getting cold as there are no other kits for her to snuggle up to although mum has made a good job of the nest and there is plenty of fur. Someone told me to give mum a little spring greens or brocolli to help with producing the milk is this correct? Help me I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
    You absolutely have to stay AWAY from a rabbit having babies. I wouldn't even go near to feed mom unless you can leave the food at a good distance. Mom rabbits have been known to kill young ones if disturbed by others, human or otherwise. Just leave her alone with the one she has, she will do the best she can. If it is not meant to live, it won't. That is survival of the fitest, so just get used to that idea. We can't change that urge.

As for greens, yes, but leave them at distance.

Jun 12, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Hmm gee thanks bit harsh. I HAVE to feed my rabbit and all I do is put her bowl in her hutch and leave. If it dies I just need to get used to it? Lol not exactly the help I was looking for. You really have reassured me lol
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
    You didn't read it right. Rabbits breed a lot, if the baby rabbit dies, then it is as it has to be. Harsh, okay, life for animals is harsh but we live with it.

I know you have to feed you rabbit, for heavens sake, why would I say otherwise.

What can you do if the baby rabbit dies? Tell me. So the mom rabbit will breed again, and again, and again. Have your ever heard BREEDING LIKE RABBITS

Jun 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Actually she won't breed again and again as the male has now been neutered. Can I ask you something? Why do you come on here to answer peoples questions as you obviously don't have the right manner to talk to people! I came on asking NICELY for some advice only to be treated like a complete idiot by u!

Jun 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
    OK well obviously in Canada it is OK to talk to people using caplocks but in uk its classed as rude! I'm 32 yr old mum of 2 and don't expect to be spoken to like a child. Thanks for the help lol
    Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 05:35 PM
    laineyuk, I have the utmost respect for UK, being a Canadian,and living in the UK for a few years. I only put three words in caps which was BREEDING LIKE RABBITS. On the net that is considered YELLING, and in this case it may have been. I am sorry you were offended, but my answers still stand as I put them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Rabbit! [ 19 Answers ]

I think there is something wrong with my rabbit and I think she might die! She is losing weight, I can feel her ribs and her backbone, but she eats and drinks fine! She is also pulling out her hair and biting herself, making huge sores. She doesn't have bugs, and I know pulling out hair is a...

One baby rabbit [ 7 Answers ]

My rabbit had a litter of 3 kits 2 died. My question is do we need to bring the baby inside? It isn't very warm outside, and I have read that there needs to be 3 or more kits for them to stay warm. Any advice would be great!

Rabbit had baby... Guinea pig problems [ 5 Answers ]

I know u might say your not supposed to keep guinea pigs with rabbits but we do and they get along. My rabbit had babies and we didn't know for a little and once we noticed 2 were dead 2 were badly injured(now dead) and one had a few scratches and a missing ear. OK now there's 2 questions's....

My rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

Heya again , My rabbit isn't to calm she likes to jump about and nibble but if I waned to make her calmer how do I do that and how do I stop her from niping

My rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

;) hello, My rabbit is called dillie dolli and she won't let me put my hand in her cage. She lunges for my hand and it's the same when I am feeding her . What shall I do ? Also can I cliker train her to do stuff. :rolleyes: Thank you Tiny Rue:cool:

View more questions Search