Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 02:40 PM
    New AC unit won't cool temp past 77 F
    This is an upstairs 2 ton unit for aprox 1300/1400 sq ft. (central)

Old unit (same as above) use to get the upstairs as cold as we wanted,
    But so far this summer it did not,
    After repeated service to the unit w/o any improvement,
    We had it replaced.

The old unit started running non stop and could not cool the temp
    Lower than 77 F, and now the new unit is doing the same thing.

Had another AC guy come out for a second opinion, he said the unit is working fine and giving all it's got. He said that it's just because it's so hot outside.

We are just at the beginning of our summer and it's going to get a lot hotter! We never had to fry before because the weather is hot outside.

Does anyone have any opinions on this or what could be happening and why two professional AC guys cannot find a problem?

Thanks, and sorry if all the info needed is not here.
    Let me know what you need to know and I'll get it to ya:D Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 02:47 PM
    I think the unit is not big enough. How big was the other unit - the old one? Sometimes having to properly cool down a two story home is a headache. What did they say about the size of the new unit being able to cool down the house properly?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Rule of thumb is 600 square foot per ton of cooling. Since this is in a upstairs setting a little more additional is OK. You are a little short on the BTU side.

Can you insulate your attic?
    Can you add a roof fan to draw the heat out of the attic?
    Is the duct in the attic insulated and TIGHT in its construction?

Years ago we used to calculate a 6000 BTU savings on the size of a unit by installing a attic fan.

What I am telling you here is not near as accurate as a manual J done on the structure but a guestimate.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Thank you for the responses.
    The second AC guy said the upstairs could stand for a 2.5 ton unit.
    But that the entire system in the attic would need to be replaced to go with it and that would cost a lota lota money.
    He said that we'd be able to keep the temp more comfy if we install an attic fan, so we'll be looking into that.

I've been brain storming every since on how this can be and it finally came to me.
    Last fall we had 3 huge trees removed that were literally on top of our house tearing it up. I guess those trees acted like a huge sun visor.
    Now that they're gone there is no shade and the sun is beaming down on the roof and house.

*sigh*

Thank you so much for your time :)
    azacdoc Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Now you've discovered the problem, which sounds correct. I do want to take issue with the 600 sq ft per ton thing. I've never worked back east but as I understand it, it's 400 sq ft per ton everywhere in the country. I have heard of people in Oklahoma using units that are too small to act as a dehumidifier but this is still undersizing regardless of climate and they break down constantly because they're running their little hearts out.

400 sq ft per ton.

Jun 13, 2008, 06:39 PM
    In this area it is 600 sq ft per ton.

Many A/C units are oversized and do not have a chance to do there main job and that is to dehumidify. Once the water is gone you can be comfortable at a much higher temperature.

The answer was also qualified as per below.

No one in there right mind would really use the square foot per ton guess game.

What I am telling you here is not near as accurate as a manual J done on the structure but a guestimate.

Jun 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Their "main job" back east is to dehumidify. Here in AZ, it's to remove heat, not moisture.
    I'm quite familiar with 'higher temperatures'. I'm wondering what you're thinking is "higher".

Yeah. The world works by Manual J doesn't it... (ha)
    mtyogi17 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 06:52 PM
    I'm in South Florida and I just installed a Trane XR13m 3 ton package unit for 1156 sq. ft under air. This is what we need down here in the Sunshine State. So I agree with 400 sq.ft.per ton.

Jun 13, 2008, 06:57 PM
    If the idea that 600 sq ft per ton worked, he wouldn't be having a problem.

Thanks for the comment.

Jun 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
    This area runs up to about 95/98 degrees during the summer but that temp is not all the time just for a few weeks. The best way to size is a manual J if you know what that is. All else is a guess.

Most folks that post here to help have some common sense and knowledge. No one here knows it all especially myself.

Jun 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Heater won't shut off! Blows only cool air. Heat won't work! [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do? My carrier heater is only 2 years old. As of yesterday the heater unit wouldn't shut off and when I turn the heat up it just keeps blowing cool air. I heard I can trip a breaker switch. Is that the electrical switch in the garage or on the heater itself? Please let...

How do I keep temp from rising past set temp? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil heater. We have been having problems with the thermostat or heater. If we turn on the switch on the heater and leave the thermostat on the lowest setting, the 2nd floor gets very hot. The base board radiators down stairs did not get hot at all until we pushed the thermostat up, and...

What Temp. Should Air Coming out of AC Unit Be? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr. old Frigidaire Gallery 12,000 BTU wall mounted AC unit. It used to work fine but recently stopped blowing cool air. The air coming out of the unit into the room has been about 70 degrees, when it used to be 55 or 60. A technician inspected the unit and said the unit had a...

Ac unit not keeping it cool in house [ 6 Answers ]

I have read a few of the Q&A's and this is what I have found so far. The fan blows the and there is a pipe coming out of the outside unit that seems to have ice on it. I had the unit on all day but only noticed this evening that it wasn't cooling as we have been out. Since we have been home the...

Furnace continues to heat past the desired temp. Setting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace with an AC unit. My wife wanted to replace the old mercury thermostat with a new digital model. We bought a Honeywell RTH230B. Now the furnace continues to heat, well past the set temperature on the thermostat. I have to switch the thermostat to the off position to get the...

View more questions Search