Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bliig720 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Obtaining a subpoena for a copy of surveillance camera
    Can you subpoena a store for a copy of what was caught on tape from their surveillance camera for a court date?

How do you do this? Who do you contact? Where do you begin? Thank you for your help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 12:03 PM
    You would have to contact the judge assigned to the case and ask for a subpeona. I'm not sure, however, that small claims couirt judges have subpeona powers. That may vary from locality to locality. If the judge does not have subpeona powers, then you may have to change the venue.

Jun 12, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You would have to contact the judge assigned to the case and ask for a subpeona. I'm not sure, however, that small claims couirt judges have subpeona powers. That may vary from locality to locality. If the judge does not have subpeona powers, then you may have to change the venue.
    Hi Scott, This does help. Thank you very much. Do you have any advice as to how you would figure out who is assigned? The case has to go through mediation before it is sent on to court. In a civil mediation case, do you think you would even need the surveillance tape? Would it be worth my time to try to figure this out further? I'm inexperienced in this type of matter. Thank you again for your time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 12:18 PM
    You need to check what the rules of evidence are for the mediation. The agency that conducts the mediation should be able to tell you. That will lead you to whether you will need the tape or not. But you do need to act fast, Depending on the store, they may not keep the information indefinitely.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bliig720
    Can you subpoena a store for a copy of what was caught on tape from their surveillance camera for a court date?

How do you do this? Who do you contact? Where do you begin? Thank you for your help!

The Small Claims Court Judge will subpoena (at least in my jurisdiction) information if it is necessary to the case -

The problem with store tapes is that they are recycled frequently, particularly if the tape is not favorable to the store.

Did you also subpoena the store incident report?

The problem with a tape if you have not already seen it and subpena it is that it might be harmful to your case, for example, if you're in high heels and juggling a watermelon (or something). I do slips and falls all the time, view the tape and there's "our" client - in high heel shoes in the Winter. Up until that moment no one was sure about her footwear.

Only you know your circumstances.

Jun 13, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    The Small Claims Court Judge will subpoena (at least in my jurisdiction) information if it is necessary to the case -

The problem with store tapes is that they are recycled frequently, particularly if the tape is not favorable to the store.

Did you also subpoena the store incident report?

The problem with a tape if you have not already seen it and subpena it is that it might be harmful to your case, for example, if you're in high heels and juggling a watermelon (or something). I do slips and falls all the time, view the tape and there's "our" client - in high heel shoes in the Winter. Up until that moment no one was sure about her footwear.

Only you know your circumstances.

Thank you. I have thought about this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting a police camera tape copy? [ 7 Answers ]

So I was in Indiana with my dad in the car, I was the passenger and a cop pulled us over and gave me a ticket for not wearing a seat belt which I actually was, I had on a black shirt and it was a sports car so the seat belt can't be seen from outside except across the shirt which it blended into....

Obtaining information about person via subpoena [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am in toronto and I bought an item from craigslist and paid the person via email transfer. The person dissappers and refuses to email me. I do have his cell phone number which offcourse he never picks up now.. So I have 2 ways to trace him. 1) the Email transfer website which may give...

Failure to copy-paste from digital camera [ 13 Answers ]

I been unable to copy-paste photos from my digital camera because of not enough memory.(?).This is a new situation because I could do that previously. I run a 8300 DELL computer,256 RAM and try not to run any other program while working with the process of transferring photos.If a I do copy-paste...

View more questions Search