Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    legalhelpplease Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Father wants rights after 3 years!
    I begged this man to be a family when I found out I was pregnant. He denies he was the father right after I told him. He tells everyone I told him it was someone else's WHEN I DID NOT. So he came to one ultrasound and took me on one date during my pregnancy - that was the relationship. I had my little girl - contacted him after one month and asked him to see her... he said no. so I moved on and her "daddy" has been in her life since she was 4 weeks old. She is now 3 and my husband and I filed for adoption. Bio father has now stepped in and said he wants rights. I don't know what to do- my husband and I gave him the option that we would allow him to see her on our terms if he didn't fight us for rights and we would not ask for support. We want our little girl to have our last name and of course we feel like we should have full rights - this man is a stranger! We are getting ready to do a paternity test and I want to know - what are the odds he will get rights after 3 years? I live in Indiana - Anyone else have similair situations?
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Jun 12, 2008, 07:12 AM
    I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems to me that with rights comes responsibilities. If you do the paternity test and it turns out he is the father, you might want to consider seeking support from him if he pushes the rights issue.

On the other hand, people change. Maybe he has. Maybe he can make a positive contribution to her life. You might want to be careful what you say about him in front of her. I'm always amazed at what kids pick up.

But, if he is the father, I imagine he at least has a shot at getting rights.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Unfortunately for you, he has the rights of a biological father. That he has chosen not exercize them for 3 years is a negative against him , but not enough of one to keep him from getting visitation (probably supervised at first) and having the other rights of a father.

Unfortunately for him, with rights come responsibilities. Once the paternity test is done, if he still refuses to relinquish his rights to clear it for your husband to adopt, then tell him if he wants to be a part of her life, he's going to have to pay for the privilege. File for child support, try to get back support. If that doesn't faze him, then he truly has had a change of heart and does want to be a good father. And you will just have to deal with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you don't hear from the father in 2 years, what are my options? [ 1 Answers ]

My 11 year old son and I live in GA. His biological father lives in FL. We have joint custody and his wages were garnished for child support. He has not contacted my son since May 2005 and he lost his job in July 2007 so we haven't had a check from him for 8 months. What rights do I have? Can...

What to do with a non existent father after 7 years [ 4 Answers ]

My sons father was only 14 when I got pregnant and I was 17. No, I didn't know he has 14. But now after 8 years the state of il caught up with him for child support and now he says he can't turn his back on our son. My son is 7 and he has never seen him or tried to contact him can he just come...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

Father away for 6 years [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has not seen nor heard about her father for about 6 years he has never looker for her nor has never helped her at all. He left when she was 1. I am married and she believes my husband is her really dad. I want sole custody of her can I do that. I also have no idea where her father...

He thinks he's the father after 5 years? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay this is hard. I found out through a myspace message I happen to see my wife reading that my 5 year old daughter might not be mine. She had a ONE TIME fling with this man and around the same time my wife became pregnant. I took a $99 internet DNA test that excluded me as the father but had...

View more questions Search