Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maniac0683 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Scholarship Money
    I have applied for SEVERAL scholarships... if by some odd chance I get a lot (or even most) of them, I'm going to have more than enough money to pay for everything I need. My question is, can I do whatever I want with whatever money is remaining?
    I'm not sure if you have to show whoever gives you the scholarship proof that the money was used for school / school supplies or not...
    EVANSBA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Try test for ghana
    Maniac0683 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Thanks, but I'm not looking for more tests... please read my question.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Depending on who gave you the scholarship, there are stipulations that they put out that you must heed by.

Generally, scholarship money is to be used towards "educational purposes" which is very vague. My leftover scholarship money went towards buying books, lab supplies, and paying rent (needed a place to live while in college).

My loan providers did not ask me where the money went. Simply just sent me a check every semester.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Sneeze... what about grant money?
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:00 AM
    The way that my scholarships worked was that the grants and loans both went to my school directly, and what was left over, after tuition/fees were taken off, were sent to me via a check.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:09 AM
    My son called his school yesterday and they told him that when the foundation that was paying his tution sent(he won full tution scholarship) in the payment then he would be sent a check for the grants... In 3 quarterly installments.
    Will some of these grants be renewable next year or do you have too or can you reapply or are grants just one time things?*edit* I want him to get CDs to pay for his books for the next 3 years. So that he never has to worry about book money.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:13 AM
    It depends on the grants. Some grants have a 4-year duration (or as long as he is a student while maintaining the minimum gpa cutoff from the grant institution) while other grants are a one-time thing. You should check with the grant.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:17 AM
    The school gave the grants... even though these grants have different names on them Should he ask for their numbers or does he have to ask through the school?
    What is the max... you think books and labs will run per year? Over 1000 per year? I cant' find that out on the school site. He is entering pre nursing. 4 yr program.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
    I would ask the school about the stipulations of those grants. As I said, some are guaranteed for 4 years as long as he maintains a certain gpa and some are just a one time deal.

As far as books, really depends on the school. I went to a pretty expensive private school... and I was in a pre-med program, where science books come out with new editions every year... and I ran about $500 a semester on books alone, and another $200 on lab fees a semester.

I'd ask the school for a relative estimate... call the school's financial aid office and they should be able to help you in that department.

Also, advise your son that it's really a good idea to e-mail the teacher about a month or two ahead of time to ask what books are necessary for the course, and then he can look on half.com or ebay.com or even ask former students to buy books/lab equipment off them. It's WAYYY cheaper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes like this."money money money, money?" [ 5 Answers ]

Do you know the artists name?

Who sings the song that goes, Money, money, money, money? [ 12 Answers ]

Who sings the song that goes something like this... Money, Money,Money, Money?

Son received a huge scholarship and grant money [ 15 Answers ]

I have some questions. My son has received a 40,000 dollar scholarship. That will pay for his 4 year studies at U.C. He was accepted into their nursing program. They will aso pay for dorm living , if he needs it in the 4 years. But we live within 15 minutes of the college. I don't think he will...

View more questions Search