Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 02:01 AM
    Power Cord Works 50% of The Time
    Hi there,

I'm new to this section. This is the first time I have had a problem with my laptop. I have a Dell Vostro 1000. Running Windows ME. I'm not sure if this information is necessary. But I'm having an issue. I plug the laptop into the power supply and that into the wall. It only works 50% of the time. I assume there is a short somewhere... Is there a way to pinpoint the problem? I know its not the outlet that I am using... it's done this all over the house...
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 12, 2008, 02:41 AM
    Either this is due to a faulty cable (some wire makes a bad contact) or the power receptical is faulty or makes a bad contact.

Start with getting a replacement cable at any computer store or other electronic applicance outlet. If you take your laptop with you, you do not even have to buy a cable "you can test it out there.
    If it is not the cable, bring your laptop to a service point for laptop repair, as in that case the problem will surely increase in the future.

Success
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 02:46 AM
    I cannot afford any of that at the moment... is there a way I can find the problem in the existing one and fix it?

It's only three months old.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 06:28 AM
    It's likely in the side that plugs into the computer within a few inches of that end.

While monitoring the charging lamp flex the cord slightly with your fingers and watch the charging lamp. You should be able to locate the break/short.

That done. I've used plugs and connectors with short wires attached from Radio Shack and made repairs soldering and using heat shrink tubing. You MUST pay attention to polarity.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I cannot afford any of that at the moment...is there a way I can find the problem in the existing one and fix it?

It's only three months old.
    A three month old PC with Win ME on it?? That doesn't make sense. But if it is 3 months old, then it should be under warranty. Call Dell and ask them to send you a replacement A/C adapter.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Anything with Windows ME on it doesn't make any sense.

Jun 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Anything with Windows ME on it doesn't make any sense.
    True that
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 12:23 PM
    I replaced XP with ME..
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
    And I will look for the warranty papers..

Jun 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I replaced XP with ME..
    WHY in heaven's name would you do something as inane as that? That's like hitching up a horse to pull an automobile.

Win ME was the worst version of Windows ever. I refuse to put it on any machine I work with.
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    WHY in heaven's name would you do something as inane as that?? That's like hitching up a horse to pull an automobile.

Win ME was the worst version of Windows ever. I refuse to put it on any machine I work with.
    I need to double-check this... I know I had my boyfriend replace Windows something with Windows something else... I'll have to look into it.
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 12:49 PM
    We replaced ME with XP...

Jun 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Well that goes back a 3 month old computer coming with Me on it. What I suspect is it came with Vista and he put XP on it. That would make a sort of sense.
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Nope, it had ME on it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New power cord for bass amp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old bass amp with a 2-conductor cord & plug. Lately, I've been working in a basement studio & I've been getting shocks if I touch the microphone while I'm playing. Would changing to more modern 3-conductor power cable solve this problem? If so, how to I attach the third (ground) wire to...

Power cord for canon s450 [ 2 Answers ]

What is the product code for the power cord for canon s450 printer Where can I buy it? Roberto - moved from Forum Help

Replacing Mobile Home Power Cord. [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought this home and its plugged into the service entrance power pole by a 20' SJ type power cord. I want to replace the cord with 3-#6's and 1-#8 (same amount and size wire in the cord) placed in PVC conduit 18" below ground level, from the pole to the mobile home, in other words, Hard-Wire...

Long power cord [ 4 Answers ]

OK you can't leave an extension cord in place over 90 days. So as long as the wire size is OK for the load at that length, can I buy a 20' one, cut the end off and hardwire it in as a 20' power cord? I am talking a motorized screen for in a church. The directions say 14-18 wire. I should be...

View more questions Search