Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jun 11, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Creating websites
    Say I have a good idea for a website... how do I make it? Like this site for example, it started as an idea, someone bought the domain name, it grows and grows... then what happens/how does it happen? What if I have the name and the idea for the site, but I don't want to actually make the site... just create the site as a concept and sell it. How does this stuff work? I see you can buy domain names on GoDaddy. So if you purchase a name, then what? I also see on GoDaddy that there are auctions of domains... is it just a name that is for sale or is it a name and a concept for a site? Could someone briefly explain how this whole thing works? Like explain it in a story form like as if you were explaining the beginning to the present of "myspace" for example.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby
    Could someone briefly explain how this whole thing works?
    1. You register a domain name (GoDaddy or elsewhere).
    2. You buy a web server and Internet connection with a public IP address, or buy web hosting (renting a connection and space on server hardware owned by someone else).
    3. If you bought your own server and connection, you install and configure an operating system, web server software (for example, IIS or Apache), and any other supporting software required. You also spend a good deal of effort on securing the server so it doesn't get hacked the instant you connect it to the Internet.
    4. You translate your concept into content (the pages people view) and place it on your server. You can either do this yourself or hire a web designer to do it.
    5. You advertise to promote your new site or wait for people to find it on their own.
    6. Once the site becomes popular, you seek a buyer for it, sell it for millions, and retire.

Six simple steps, get to work...

Jun 12, 2008, 07:06 AM
    OK, the only question I have now is about the renting or owning of "space" and the server stuff. Who rents space? I know I wouldn't want to have much to do with this myself, so I wouldn't want to buy a bunch of stuff...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Unfortunately, the boom of buying domain names on spec has passed. The big money has been made already.

If you think you have a concept that is marketable. Secure the domain name (that will only cost a few dollars) and then put together a business plan for the concept, Then try to interest venture capitalists in either funding your concept or buying it on their own.

If you want to actually implement the concept in hope that the site attracts enough interest to attract a buyer, then you will need to subscribe to a host service, get someone to design the site and put it up on the host. There are dozens of host services out there.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby
    Who rents space?
    Google "web hosting" - the choices seem endless. One of the bigger names is Rackspace.

Jun 13, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Where do I find venture capitalists? Thanks for your answer, BTW, that's the direction I want to go with an idea that I have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any websites design websites on intalment basis or on joint venture profit s [ 5 Answers ]

Is there any website design website on intalment basis or on joint venture profit sharing basis?

Can Websites Find Out What other websites we visit? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible for website owners to find out what other websites we visit? If so, how do they find out? Thanks

Proxy off websites because the school blocked mostly all websites [ 2 Answers ]

Can you give me as many proxy off websites that you know because at my school I can't play games or go to myspace or to Yahoo. So can you help me?

Creating websites with search facility [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone advise - as a novice is there an easy way to create a website with a search facility or should I employ a professional? The website will be a sell your own house site and I want people to be able to use varying criteria to search the properties. Thanks

Websites as Seen on TV [ 6 Answers ]

How many people log onto a website they see flash across their screen during a TV show, movie, live newscast, etc. Not including website commercials, just random sites you see during a program.

View more questions Search