Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:07 AM
    The Book
    Do you believe as a Christian today the Bible is the final authority? That it is absolute truth and written by men, inspired by GOD? ( 1 Timothy 3:16) Why and why not? I am not talking about understanding everything in it... there are many things that I still do not understand. BUT is it the Truth? Even if you don't like everything it says?
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 06:43 AM
    John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It is The Truth and The Light, and The Way.. The Word is Jesus
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 12, 2008, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT
    Do you believe as a Christian ....
    Congrats with these starting words ! That is precisely what always should be added when asking for religious opinions!!

:)
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Jun 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Yes, it is the absolute Truth!

Here's the thing... if one single solitary thing in the Bible were not God's Truth then the entire Bible would be null and void. The reason... how would you be able to discern what was Truth and what wasn't?

You either take the Bible as it is, whether you like it or not, or you don't. You don't get to pick... it's futile to do so.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Moon,

Once again we agree! BUT many people pull it out of context, mix law with grace, and then get confused. My motto... LAW and GRACE... don't try to mix them... it doesn't work. It wasn't mean to.
    kidolph Posts: 90, Reputation: 12

Jun 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
    This is an interesting question.

I believe that in the end we will see that the Bible is absolutely true down to the lase "jot and tittle". However we do not always understand the meaning, context or idiom for a particular text. Many of our widely held beliefs are not taken from the bible but from someone else's interpretation of what the words mean.

Example: Most Christians believe that Jesus was born in a stable, because Mary laid Jesus in a manger. A manger was an integral part of a living room because animals were brought into a lower part of a home for warmth usually at the end of the main living room.
    So Jesus was probably born in living room instead of the cenacle (spare room) where travelers lodged and where children were usually born, out of sight of the rest of the family. The gospel writer was just noting the unusual circumstance when he wrote "there was no room". We now have whole sermons and traditions built up around this misunderstanding.

One thing that I do not understand is that Jesus quoted the scriptures, directly, at least 4 times. Only once is the quote exact. Twice the scripture he says that he is quoting is not there or appears to mean something else. "Scripture says...Ye are gods" and "out of his belly will run streams of living water".
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kidolph

One thing that I do not understand is that Jesus quoted the scriptures, directly, at least 4 times. Only once is the quote exact. Twice the scripture he says that he is quoting is not there or appears to mean something else. "Scripture says...Ye are gods" and "out of his belly will run streams of living water".

John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

This scripture may be the one you are talking about, and if I can help you understand what is meant, I am happy to do so. Let me try to explain. He is meaning MESSIAH The river is an emphatic word implying Abundance Belly meaning the entire self or being.. . So you have ( He is, and will be, the source of all Spiritual Blessing "as the scripture hath said" )

As the scriptures include the follow list all refer this promise.
    Isaiah 12:3 Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

Isaiah 58:11 And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

Ezekiel 47:1 Afterward he brought me again unto the door of the house; and, behold, waters issued out from under the threshold of the house eastward: for the forefront of the house [stood toward] the east, and the waters came down from under from the right side of the house, at the south [side] of the altar.

Joel 3:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, [that] the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of tim

Zechariah 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

Zechariah 14:8 And it shall be in that day, [that] living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.

A King James Version "The Companion Bible" would help in this same manner. Plus it will refer by # the Hebrew and Greek meaning of each word.

~In Christ ~In The Light ~Peace
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 05:45 PM

I believe that in the end we will see that the Bible is absolutely true down to the lase "jot and tittle". However we do not always understand the meaning, context or idiom for a particular text. Many of our widely held beliefs are not taken from the bible but from someone elses interpretation of what the words mean.
    And Man tacting on his traditions.

Example: Most Christians believe that Jesus was born in a stable.
    And man leads everyone to believe it was Dec 25 that Jesus was born when actually the 25 was the conception day.

This is why everyone should read the bible themselves and allow the Holy Spirit to lead and guide. Asking for God's help and wisdom in prayer can change your life.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
    [quote=sndbay]And Man tacting on his traditions.

And man leads everyone to believe it was Dec 25 that Jesus was born when actually the 25 was the conception day.

This is why everyone should read the bible themselves and allow the Holy Spirit to lead and guide. Asking for God's help and wisdom in prayer can change your life.[/quote

The fact is no one knows any dates of Christ Birth, most Christians teach and believe it is in the Spring because of the Sheperds in the fields with their flocks, Dec was only chosen as a day to celebrate his birth, or actually as a day to have a christian holiday, celebratoin of the birth of christ was chosen
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck

The fact is no one knows any dates of Christ Birth, most Christians teach and beleive it is in the Spring because of the Sheperds in the fields with thier flocks, Dec was only chosen as a day to celebrate his birth, or actually as a day to have a christian holiday, celebratoin of the birth of christ was chosen

The King James Version/ Companion Bible index offers an Appendix which is the structure of the Books of the Old Testment According to the Hebrew Canon. Noted in Appendix 179 is parallel dating/ Date of "The Begetting" Jesus Birth according to Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. AND John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

From Conception, according to Jewish reckoning 280 days. AND Gentile reckoning 280 The chart of birth offered:
    Day --- JEWISH Month --- Gentile Day

Day 1 Tebeth 1st ( Dec 25-26) December25
    Day 8 Tebeth 8th ( Jan 1-2 )

Tebeth total 29 days December 25
    7 days
    Sebat 30 days January 31 days
    Adar 29 days February 29 days
    Nisan 30 March 31
    Zif 29 April 30
    Sivan 30 May 31
    Thammuz 29 June 30
    AB 30 July 31
    Elul 29 August 31
    Ethanim 15 September 29
    280 Total

Concluded: 15TH of ETHANIM = SEPTEMBER 29, EMMUNUAL BORN

Luke 1:26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth

For these facts to be lock in by "The Massorah" the sixth month must have register in Jewish time as the month of TEBETH.

Luke 1:27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name [was] Mary.

Luke 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Luke 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Well, I certainly celebrate the birth of my Savior but has anyone considered that HE never asked us to "remember" His birth? He asked us to remember His death with the wine and bread.

This is totally off the thread but I think it is far easier to remember a little baby in a manager... it is lots harder to think of a sinless, perfect man on the Cross dying for mankind. It begs the question... What will YOU do with Christ? The little sweet baby in the manager isn't nearly as intimidating OR controversial.
    Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 11:15 AM
    I am glad that some bible scholar in your bible posted their opinion based on their study as to when they believe these events to have happened, and you are free to accept them as valid, The most accept belief today is that Jesus was born in the spring, no exact dates of birth or conception is known.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jun 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
    It is written that Jesus asked us to commemorate his death and not his birth. Luke 22:19
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
    I am glad that some bible scholar in your bible posted thier opinion based on thier study as to when they beleive these events to have happened, and you are free to accept them as valid, The most accept beleif today is that Jesus was born in the spring, no exact dates of birth or conception is known.

The Book: Are we all speaking of the same Book ? The Kings James Bible in my Christian opinion is the only true teaching of God's Word. The information was documented in the King James Version locked in safe keeping by The Massorah. Anyone can research the documentation of this ( Massorah ) on the web for sure.

What book other then this, has found that the King James Bible can not be referanced as truth or acceptable belief?
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Jun 14, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay

Concluded: 15TH of ETHANIM = SEPTEMBER 29, EMMUNUAL BORN

Luke 1:26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth

For these facts to be lock in by "The Massorah" the sixth month must have register in Jewish time as the month of TEBETH.

Luke 1:27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name [was] Mary.

Luke 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.
    I believe in the context of these verses, the sixth month refers to the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy.

Luke 1: 24-28
    [24] After these days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and for five months she hid herself, saying,
    [25] "Thus the Lord has done to me in the days when he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men."
    [26] In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth,
    [27] to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
    [28] And he came to her and said, "Hail, O favored one, the Lord is with you!"
    Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 02:56 PM
    But where does the conception date come from? Sorry I see no reference to where the conception is, I do see where in the 6th month of Elizabeths pregnancy, Mary went to see her? But that does not give us a Calender date.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Jun 14, 2008, 03:24 PM
    But where does the conception date come from ?? sorry I see no reference to where the conception is, I do see where in the 6th month of Elizabeths pregnancy, Mary went to see her ?? But that does not give us a Calender date.
    That is why I pointed out the context of the verses. It's the sixth month of Elizabeths pregnancy. Not the sixth month of the year.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Well my thoughts lead me to think the conception was on the eve of her trip.. Luke 1:38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.
    Immediately the next version was her trip. . Luke 1:39 And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;

And so Mary on that day of arrival told Elisabeth, the babe leaped in Elisabeth's womb. ( I feel Elisabeth babe leaped for joy in the present of what the Holy Spirit in each knew was present. ) It is also why I am against abortion at any time.. The spiritual world most give little regard to, and many scripture refer how from the moment God places us here, meaning the importance of conception, we are on a path ordain by Him. Luke 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jun 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
    [QUOTE=sndbay]John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

In the verse following the one you give, John explains what Jesus was talking about. It needs no interpretation.

John 7:38-39
    38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
    39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
    (KJV)
    Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 05:54 PM
    And to follow it up, as most christians know we have no idea of the actual birth of Christ, and Jesus never asked us to ever celebrate his birthday, and in fact for a christian it should be the more minor church holiday, behid that of Easter, Passover and other church holidays have a much more importance over the history of christianity.

Also one of the reasons Jesus did not ask was that birthdays were not celebrated at that time in history. And the celebration of Christ birth was not done for a few centuries after his death and only done so christians would not stand out when pagans where doing their celbrations, so the church picked something to celebrate during the time the pagans were doing their holidays so that first they could meet and fellowhsip for a reason and second they would not stand out from the other people, since being a christians was still illegal.

And of course what people, esp americans see and do for christmas has more pagan in it, than true worship of christ plus it has been hijacked by the advertising people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

Looking for book from The Weekly Reader Book Club, 60's or 70's, paperback, on WWI. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I trying to find a book that I bought in the mid-60's from The Weekly Reader Book Club. I believe it was simply called World War I. It's a small paperback. There's pictures in the book, one of which is subtitled "Doughboys to the Front". In this photo is my grandfather. I loaned...

Weekly reader book order book from the 80's [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I am so frustrated! I had this book when I was in the 5th grade in the 80's, I'd say it was around 1985 or 1986. Anyway, I loved this book and I lost it when I was a kid and I would give ANYTHING to find it again! I got the book from the Weekly Reader book order in school. There was a girl...

I'm looking for this book. [ 1 Answers ]

Well, I was like in 6th grade, and I bought this book, and a week later it got thrown away. And I want to buy it again, but I don't remember the title. It's about a girl who's mother is an alcoholic and she stays in bed all the time, and the girl has a younger sister named Dani, who's mentally...

CSS e-Book [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am in need of an Advanced CSS e-Book. Any links would help me a lot. Sincere Regards Shaikh M. Zaid.

View more questions Search