Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alih786 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 01:05 AM
    Computer running slow, virtual memory setted
    I set the virtual memory to 2000 on both initial and maximum. Is that OK?>

I have only 128MB RAM. Does that speed up the computer because I've set it to 2000?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 01:18 AM
    You should set the virtual memory to 2 1/2 times your real memory. For you, that would be about 300k.

Dude, what operating system are you running? Windows XP is a dog at 256k, "usable" at 500k, the real performance kicks in around 1gig of memory.

"Bricking the memory" by setting the high and low to the same number reduces the amount of drive access you spend waiting while Windows "resizes" the swap space, it won't ever do it at all, so that's a bonus. But setting it to 2000 with only 128k of real memory is going end up slowing you down even worse.

You need to upgrade your memory if you're using anything above Windows98.
    alih786 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    You should set the virtual memory to 2 1/2 times your real memory. For you, that would be about 300k.

Dude, what operating system are you running? Windows XP is a dog at 256k, "usable" at 500k, the real performance kicks in around 1gig of memory.

"Bricking the memory" by setting the high and low to the same number reduces the amount of drive access you spend waiting while Windows "resizes" the swap space, it won't ever do it at all, so that's a bonus. But setting it to 2000 with only 128k of real memory is going end up slowing you down even worse.

You need to upgrade your memory if you're using anything above Windows98.
    I'm using windows xp.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 11, 2008, 07:45 AM
    128 Mb on XP is extremely LOW.
    Best idea, rather than muck about with virtual settings is to put a shed load more physical RAM in your machine.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 08:06 AM
    It doesn't matter what you do with the virtual memory, 128k of ram means misery. You HAVE to get that up to a MINIMUM of 500k for anything resembling sanity, and maximizing the memory is our recommendation.

What's the make and model of your computer?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 11, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Pssst JB I think you mean M's ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer running slow [ 4 Answers ]

What can I do computer running very slow

What to do with a computer running slow [ 6 Answers ]

My computer just started running slow, I've defragged it, scanned it for viruses and spyware, uninstalled any unneeded programs, what else can I try?

Computer is running slow [ 2 Answers ]

My computer is running slower than usual. What can I do to fix this problem? Thank you

Computer running verrryyy SLOW [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows XP & Until a week ago everything was FINE. Then all of a sudden my computer would freeze on me and totally lock up. :mad: I ran a driver update and updated all my drivers that had better updated drivers. It did stop freezing up, but it is slower than EVER and I have high speed...

Computer running very slow [ 2 Answers ]

Ive already run all the major Spyware checkers and found nothing using Spyware Doctor, Spyware Blaster, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy. Also ran the scan within the latest ZoneAlarm and TrendMicro Anti-Virus. Here is my Hijack log. Computer is only 3 months old 3.0 Ghz. ...

View more questions Search