Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Jun 10, 2008, 02:12 PM
    How might this happen in CAD program?
    Question: I have a house plan which shows front elevation where there is a front bedroom with a gable roof /|and a 2-car garage with a gable roof /| the main portion of the home is behind the front bedroom and it has a hip roof. To look at the front elevation you can clearly see that the front bedroom walls are much higher than the garage walls or the walls of the main portion of the house, so that the gable of the front bedroom is higher that the gable edge of the garage and there is an open space between the two gable edges. In addition, the gable of the from bedroom has its ridge centered over center window of the front bedroom.

But to look at sections of the same home design you can see that ALL exterior walls are 8 ft tall.

And to look at roof framing you can clearly see that ridge of gable over front bedroom sits considerably to the left of the center of the center window and that the gable edge extends to overlap the gable edge of the garage roof.

How might this happen in a cad program? The elevation came first, as it was a part of the beginning design we the customer decided upon (elevations and floor plan). So, in the CAD program, wouldn't the elevation have to fit then the design for the framing or the sections? If it doesn't, did the architect have to make changes so that it didn't? Would the program give him any warning that the elevation didn't match design?

Sorry, I know nothing about CAD program, just trying to figure out how this could happen Are all the drawings within a set of plans are linked or not?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jun 11, 2008, 06:37 AM
    CAD programs are only as good as the person using them, many mistakes could still be made. Unless the Architect was using a 3D modeling program, the CAD program would not tell you there was a mistake. It sounds like the drawings are not fully coordinated. I'd point out these things out to the Architect and your Contractor so that it gets built the way you want it to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What needs to happen? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok my girlfriend has a 18 mo old baby and his biological dad has seen him once... he is on none of his paperwork such as birth certificate, nothing. He will call one day and say I want to see my son, then the same afternoon he will call and say he hates the baby and hopes to never see him. He...

What will happen to my dog? [ 12 Answers ]

What happens to animals other that humans when they die? Are they supposed to go to heaven or not? Why or why not?

What will happen? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have been with my now partner since my daughter was 10 weeks old. She was born sept 2004. My previous partner left me when I was pregnant and made it clear he would not be part of our child's life. He has a mental illness from a r.t.a and for this reason, I understood and continued with the...

View more questions Search