Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Jun 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Assembling a micro-lam beam.
    Hello all. I have a 4-ply micro-lam beam that I need to assemble. The completed beam will measure 14 foot in span, and 14 inches in height. Since it is a 4-ply, it will be about 6-7 inches wide (I'm not at home now, so I can't measure and give exact dimensions). I was told that the way to assemble the 4 individual beams into one beam is to use 16 penny nails every foot, 4 nails in a row top to bottom. I have 2 questions. First, does this make sense to you all? I am wondering if nails and carriage bolts were recommended as the bolts would weaken the structure of the beams.

Second question - should I also use construction adhesive between the individual beams?

Thanks,
    Rob
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
    What kind of lumber and what dimensions are you using. Definitely glue and nail, carriage bolts are great too if this will not show.

Jun 10, 2008, 11:30 AM
    The beam is replacing a load bearing wall that is 2x6 construction, 16"OC studs. The beam will span about 14 foot end to end. It will be supported by at least 3 2x6s (or 2x8s) on either side. The height of the beam is 14 inches. The width is about 6-7 inches. As for the type of wood, don't know. It is en engineered product, so perhaps many different types of wood.

Thanks for the quick reply!
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jun 10, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Microllam provides specific directions on how to do this... I'll see if I can find them

Edit: found them on page 38 and onwards
    http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-9000.pdf

Jun 11, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Thanks everyone for your help - Looks like I'm good to go with what I no know.

Thanks
    Rob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Beam/Low Beam on 99 Durango [ 4 Answers ]

My headlights will only work on high beams. My sister owned the Durango before and said she had to mess with the switch from time to time to get low beams to work then finally stopped working. Anyone ran into this problem? I think its in the steering column. I've checked fuses and headlights. ...

Re-assembling a 3-tier chandelier [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My ex-husband disassembled a 3-tier, 16 arm chandelier. He removed the bottom tier of arms, left the top 2 tiers intact, and then threw the whole thing in a box. I would like to re-assemble it, but have no idea what to do with the electrical wires. There is one black and one white wire...

View more questions Search