Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 9, 2006, 12:15 PM
    ADSL vs. DSL
    Are aDSL and DSL the same thing? Is aDSL(asymmetric digital subscribers line) just the full way of saying DSL or is it different?:confused:
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 9, 2006, 12:17 PM
    There is ADSL and SDSL. Most home users mean ADSL when they say DSL unless they really are getting the same speeds up/down then it is SDSL.

Casey
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 9, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Thanks! Now I get it!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Just to explain further. DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. It is a technique for using previously unused frequencies that existed on regular copper phone lines to send digital data. On the consumer side, a DSL "modem" is required to convert the digital signals into Ethernet Data packets. On the Telco side is equipment to connect to the Internet and process the flow of data packets.

The A in ADSL stands for aysymmetric. That simple means that data travels at different speeds in different directions. So your modem sends data at one speed and the Telco Central Office sends it to you at a different speed. Symmetrical then would be having the same speeds in both directions.

One of the things with DSL is that you service is tiered so you pay different rates for different service. The higher the speeds, the more you pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

ADSL Microfilter [ 4 Answers ]

Now this is a really dumb question but I thought I better just check. During the week my company rents me a flat (as I'm working offsite at the mo). They have also provided me with a phone line. Trouble is that whenever I pick up the phone and hit certain numbers, I get a "that number is not...

ADSL line not functional! [ 16 Answers ]

Hi folks, I have a bit of a problem. I have activated my ADSL line but it somehow doesn't come through. My phone works perfectly on this phone jack (using a filter), so I know that is operational. I've also tried connecting the modem directly to the phone jack, with no splitter or filter, and...

View more questions Search