Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    f_papad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 07:32 AM
    No dial tone with DSL filter
    Recently changed a phone jack and it seems that I can no longer get a dial tone if the DSL filter is connected to the phone. Once the DSL filter is removed a dial tone is there. Could something be wrong with the wiring? I have tried different DSL filters with same result.

Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 08:14 AM
    I'm wondering if perhaps when you changed the phone jack you may have reversed the wires (got the red and green wires backwards). When you remove the DSL filter can you dial using touch tones as normal? If not, that would be an indication of a tip/ring reversal.
    f_papad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Thanks for the response. However once I remove the filter the phone works normally. I will try to reverse the wires.

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 10:48 AM
    I tend to agree. Red and Green may have gotten mixed up somewhere. Most telephones don't care about polarity, but some do. The DSL fillter might or might not care.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Have you tried plugging phone in another jack, get dial tone or use cordless, then go back and plug DSL filter in it's jack, if it knocks out(shorts) the other jack with phone, it may be a pin in the phone jack, that jumped its slot, you have to look carefully inside jack(dont have to remove from wall)then when you plug in DSL filter it shorts, I'm sure you tried a second DSL Filter.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Just a minor word here. If the home/ apartment is pre wired for RJ-11s most likely the wiring is paired using the Universal Wiring Code which puts Blue white/white blue as the center pairing (line 1) Orange White/White Orange (line 2) the Green white /White green would be the third connection.

Most newer construction houses (Using Copper Wiring) are being pre wired by electricians, not the phone company so it is unlikely to find the old station wire (Green, Red, Yellow and Black) in the walls anymore. Drop wire is still the two pair (Green/Red and Yellow / Black) but that is external to the demarcation box.

The Phone company wires to the demarcation box or (NID) as you call it. That's where their responsibility ends unless you have them signed up for inside wiring services.

At the last apartment I had, I had a lot of problems with Verizon. They kept telling me my phone was working and they were running tests on their line and everything was fine. However, I still had no tone, even when I went across the lone with a bust in. I finally got them out when I told them that there was no tone to the demarc. Box and that there was no battery on the line either.

When they got the tech on-site, it was discovered that they had never activated the correct paring from the control box to the demarc. Once they did that, the tech was able to tone back from the initial punch down to the orange white / white orange for my second line.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 04:33 PM
    OK Don. Time to get picky again.

RJ 11 2 wires wired
    RJ 14 4 wires wired
    RJ 25 6 wires wired

The suffix C and W are used to designate Desk mounted (surface) and W for Wall.

RJ is actually a term for Registered Jack and it describes a Jack and wiring Scheme.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Just like there is no DB15 "D" connector, but there is a DB25 D connector. The DB15 is actaully a DC15. But who whould know what your talking about.

Jun 17, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Pick right back at you. RJ-11 Caries six connection points all of which can be populated. Pair 1 is positions 3&4, pair 2 is 2&5 and pair 3 is 1&6.

Then there is a MRJ11 but why worry about that.

By the way, you left out the RJ 45, any particular reason? :)
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Nope, the RJ11, RJ14 and RJ25 are the same 6 position connector.

RJ-11 Definition: TechEncyclopedia from TechWeb

Better link includes the RJ 45 stuff you asked about:

Making Your Own 10/100baseT Cables - Transwiki

Jun 17, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Better look again. The RJ45 is the eight position connector.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
    The RJ45 is an 8 contact connector. Contacts are not the same as positions.

The RJ50 which has the same form factor has 10 positions, 10 contacts.

I'll let you slide on this one. Score 1 to 1.

But those pesky modular phone connectors that people have in their homes have 6 positions. Some have 2, 4 or 6 contacts populated and have different RJ designations.

Jun 18, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Agreed on the pesky home plugs. It depends on how cheap can the cable be made for.

One of the nastier situations I had in the field was from a customer that could not understand why, I would sell him the correct cable instead of giving it to him to replace a 2 position plug with an 6 position plug. Customer's, can be great or dumber than fence posts at times. Gee, welcome to the human condition! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

None of our phones are working; we get dead air. No calls coming (going right to voice mail) and not able to phone out. The odd thing is, we have high speed internet and that is working fine (connected to the phone line). How is this possible and do you have any suggestions? Very frustrated in...

Dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2 phone jacks, I get a dial tone for 15 seconds then the recorded message saying "please hang up...." my wife tells me, that we blew a fuse in that room the other day. I have checked the connections and cleaned them. Any thoughts? Thom

No dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

No dial tone in my cordless phone! Jack connected to rogers box. Another phone connected to same box is working fine. Help

No dial tone [ 9 Answers ]

Can somebody help me with this. I just had my phoneline activated. However, when I lift the handset, no dial tone is present. But what's weird is that, I can receive incoming calls. Anybody else who shares my experience? Please give me some tips on how to resolve. Thanks in advance!

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

Over a couple of days my phone service deteriorated until there was nothing. Then, after a day, the ADSL came back (that's how I'm doing this) but not the dial tone. I unplugged all the phones and put them back one by one, but still nothing. Any suggesitons? Verizon is going to charge me...

View more questions Search