Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    urtech1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 07:27 AM
    2 networks 1 connection?
    Hi everyone, I am having trouble figuring out how I can't create 2 networks with one verizon dsl connection. I need my 2 networks to be completely separate. Except a few computers to be connected to both networks, what I am really having trouble with is... I need to setup the hardware correctly. Now I have done some research and I came up with that I need 3 routers... one for my modem and than 2 from my router coming from the modem, if anyone can give me some advice that would be very nice, thanks guys and girls!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Steve Gibson of Gibson Research Corp. has a really good writeup on multi-router configuration here.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jun 12, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Computers can exist on multiple networks at the same time. However, you will not be able to use DHCP assigned IP addresses on these computers. You must manually assign the IP addresses to each computer and there can only be ONE router (or gateway address) assigned.

First of all, the computers and network equipment must all be physically connected together so that they are all visible on the same physical network. Then on each computer, go to the TCP/IP configuration and assign the primary IP address, subnet mask and gateway address. Then go to the advanced settings and assign a second IP address and subnet mask for the second network.

In short, you are assigning multiple identities to the same network card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharing internet connection between two separate networks [ 4 Answers ]

Hi We are two small businesses sharing one office premises. Each business has its own computers. However we share one internet connection. It would seem that we really need to split the network into two separate parts (one for each business). What is the recommended or suggested way of doing...

2 nics 2 networks 2 browsers 1 internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a PC with 2 nics installed. NIC 1 is connecter to a gbit network with static ip 10.0.0.x and connects to the internet through a server 10.0.0.1. This server is connecter to the internet router and I can access the internet through it. NIC 2 is connecter to the internet router running...

One PC different Networks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a few pcs that need to connect to two different networks. I assume that I will need two nic cards with ip addresses on both networks, I'm just not sure how the configuration should be setup to have the cards communicate. Looking for a document or help on this. Thanks. PCs running w2k...

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

Link multiple networks that each have a separate internet connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my network configeration is as follows: (Network 1): Router (connects my PC to the internet), Switch (Router is pluged into one of the ports, the other ports are open for pc's to plug in and have access to the internet), One PC that is pluged into the second port of the Switch (the rest of...

View more questions Search