Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blizzaro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Separating the bathroom fan from the light
    Hello,
    I currently have one switch that controls both the light and bathroom fan. These are both separate units. I want to separate them by having one switch control the fan and another switch controlling the light. The main power currently comes into the light fixture on the ceiling. This power source currently supplies a motion sensor, a power outlet, and the light switch (which is attached to the fan). I want to run a 14/2 wire from the power source to the new switch box which will control the fan. I'm wondering how to wire everything properly to make this work.
    nguard Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
    I had the same issue in my bathroom, one light one switch. I eventully upgraded to a fan and just dealt with the wiring. I wired the light and fan on the same switch. At first it was just nice having a fan. After a few years I was kicking myself for not "getting it right" the first time. I should have just buckled down and added another switch. I recently had a major plumbing issue which was a blessing in disguise...

I ended up gutting out the entire bathrom (65 sq feet)... I put in a new bath shower, floor walls everything. AND I wanted "Fresh electric"... I don't know who wired my house (60 yrs ago) but I didn't have a single breaker to control a single room, everything was screwed up. So I figured I would run a new breaker right from the box and solely committed for the bathrrom. AND I figured I'd add an outlet and a vanity light (perfect for evening). I ran 14/2 straight from the box.. after installing a new breaker...

Installing breaker... open it up, cut the main power (have a good flashliht) pull one out, carefuly paying attention to how it was installed... take it to Lowe's, Homedepot and match up EVERYTHING, volts, model# etc... then put that one back in and wire the new one.

From the breaker I ran one 14/2 to underneath by bathrrom (basement ceiling) I installed a junction box.

From the junction box I ran one for the switch through the floor, one for the fan switch and one for the outlet and vanity. So my junction box had the power in and 3 lines out
    1- light switch
    2- Fan switch
    3- Outlet

I an the vanity off the outlet

From the fan switch to the fan (I know brilliant right? Lol)

From the light switch to the main light and the new shower light.

It's so nice having options when light is needed!! Hope this helps... just beware, I am no way shape or form a professional (they may know an easier way), just a homeowner looking to save a few bucks...
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Currelectric code requires bathrooms to have a 20 amp circuit with GFCI protection on outlets. This circuit must be dedicated to the bathroom unless it only has outlets, in which case one circuit may serve multiple bathrooms. Remember that a 20 amp circuit will needat least 12/2 cable if using romex.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Aug 12, 2008, 12:53 PM
    1. Turn off the breaker.
    2. disconnect the fan but leave everything else the way it is.
    3. connect the ground of the new wiring and the fan to the rest of them.
    4. connect the fan's neutral wire (probably white) to the neutrals in the box behind the fan
    (also probably white)
    5. connect the black wire of the new switch wiring to the fan's hot wire.
    6. connect the white wire of the new swtch wiring to the hot wires in the box behind the
    Fan (probably black) and reidentify it with black tape.
    7. go to the switch box and wire the ground.
    8. wire the black and white to opposite ends of the switch and reidentify the white wire with black tape.
    9. test it
    10. Close it up and enjoy.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 04:49 PM
    In many areas it is against the health code to change your situation, if there is no window

In the bath room.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom fan/light fixture and other light [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom and am having trouble with the wiring of the switches. Existing wiring controlled an fan switch, separate switch for the light, a switch for vanity light and an outlet. I want to eliminate the outlet so need to wire the three switches separely in a 3 gang box. The wiring...

Broan bathroom fan light does not light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one year old Broan bathroom fan/light in which the light does not work. Replaced the light with a new bulb but still does not work. The fan works fine by switch but the light switch produces no result. What are most likely causes?

Separating Numbers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, How can separate this A7BD Hex value to those A7 and BD in VB6. Thanks

Separating light and fan on same switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan(no light kit) over a stairway wired to a foyer light controlled by two three way switches (one in foyer, one at the top of the stairs). This turns the fan on whenever the light is turned on. How can I rewire (add a fan only switch) so I can control these two devices...

Bathroom fan/light: light works, fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I'm back with more "finishing basement" questions. This weekend, I wired my bathroom. This is 20 amp service with 12 ga wire. For the bath fan/light, the power source came into the switch box (1 box, 2 switches) on a 12/2 wire. From there, power goes up to the light/fan on a 12/3 wire. Red goes...

View more questions Search