Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katzpurr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Need to foreclose on 2 properties but can we keep our primary residence?
    Im going to try and make a long story short as possible.
    We lived in California for 8 years. We bought 2 houses. We had to move for my husbands job, so both are rentals. One renter hasn't paid the rent in 3 months(house #1) the other is having a hard time making the rent. Mind you they aren't covering the mortgage even when they do pay.. one of the houses is putting us in the hole 500 a month and that is when they pay (house #2)
    House #1 is on the market and we are trying to do a short sale. One month.. no offers. We did refinance on this house. House #2 the renters can't make the payments and even when they do we are out the 500 a month. We can't keep going on like this. Our savings are gone and we are near financial ruin at this point. I say we have no other choice to foreclose on at least one of the houses... preferably house #2.
    We are now living in Ohio in a beautiful area in a house we can actually afford, in a good school district and my husband is finally thinking about retiring here after 25 years in the military... FINALLY THE QUESTION...
    Will we lose our house in Ohio? That is the one thing we don't want to happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are literally at the end of our financial rope.
    Thank you in advance.
    Stacey :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 04:11 PM
    First you need to use a management company and evict if they are 15 days late and stop being a nice person and being a landlord.

And you need to try and sell both, also you don't foreclose, the lender will after you have not paid for a number of months, they are likely to let it go out 5 or 6 months even longer at times. They use this time to first give you a chance to find a way to pay, but also to build up late charges and other fees so by the time they foreclose it will be a much higher price you owe.

And yes they may decide to come after the balance. You will be much easier to sell it, even try a short sale.
    snoluvr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katzpurr
    Im going to try and make a long story short as possible.
    We lived in California for 8 years. We bought 2 houses. We had to move for my husbands job, so both are rentals. One renter hasnt paid the rent in 3 months(house #1) the other is having a hard time making the rent. Mind you they arent covering the mortgage even when they do pay..one of the houses is putting us in the hole 500 a month and that is when they pay (house #2)
    House #1 is on the market and we are trying to do a short sale. One month.. no offers. We did refinance on this house. House #2 the renters can't make the payments and even when they do we are out the 500 a month. We can't keep going on like this. Our savings are gone and we are near financial ruin at this point. I say we have no other choice to foreclose on at least one of the houses...preferably house #2.
    We are now living in Ohio in a beautiful area in a house we can actually afford, in a good school district and my husband is finally thinking about retiring here after 25 years in the military...FINALLY THE QUESTION...
    Will we lose our house in Ohio? That is the one thing we dont want to happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are literally at the end of our financial rope.
    Thank you in advance.
    Stacey :(
    They don't have the rights to foreclose on your primary residence, they only have the rights to foreclose on the properties that were used in securing the loan. So if you were let the other two properties go into foreclosure. You would lose the two homes, ruin your credit for a while. But not lose your primary house. If you are not interested in keeping the other homes and trying to rent them again. I would contact a good agent, explain what is going on and sell them in a short sale if you can. I would also contact the mortgage companies and explain to them what you are doing as well. They probably won't like it, but they are just as stuck as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Primary Residence in Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

If your primary residence is outside the United States (Sweden), and you pay U.S. income taxes, is the interest on the mortgage deductible? Seaman in internaltion waters.

401k withdrawal for primary residence [ 9 Answers ]

I borrowed money from my 401k to purchase my primary residence (88,000.00 to be exact) Now I got a letter stating that I owe the IRS 28,000.00 in taxes. I asked the 401k advisor at my job, before borrowing, if I would be taxed. He said no. He said because I was using money to purchase primary...

Primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

About a year ago, I purchased a home in Missouri after the bank foreclosed on my mother's home. She lives with me now at the new house. I have recently decided to move and possibly get married. I would like my mother to be able to continue living at the house if possible. I don't believe that...

How to get list of notice to foreclose on properties? [ 1 Answers ]

Through an "open house" sign, I met a man who is a wholesaler. He said he gets a list from the court every day, of properties that are going to be foreclosed. He then contacts the owner to see if they want to sell their property before the bank takes the property back. He has purchased several...

Length of time for primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?

View more questions Search