Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BBeleskey Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 12:10 PM
    SOL on a Business to Business Small Claims Court
    Our case is that we purchase of a software "PICK" 3 user licence, Oct 1 st 1997.

It did not come to our attention that it was illegal till March 2007.

We ended up filling a Small Claims court suit for $10,000 for our money back.

Today the jugde refused our claim saying SOL had expired, since our claims was older than 6 years.

Is that correct?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Sounds right. Judge should know the law.

So you are saying you bought a license for a software package from someone for $10K in 1997 and you just became aware that it wasn't a legal license? What made you aware of that?

Jun 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
    We are planning to sell the company and we hired aa Authorized Microsoft Software support Reseller. He was to see if we were Legit.
    We were not. He found we we did not even have leagl copies of our Operating system
    We also bought from the same person a Dealer management software package that was only able to run on "PICK"

Jun 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Both the Operating system "PICK" and Windows 95 were not legal copies. They were licened to another company.
    We also did not receive our original software till March 07/07
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Well, frnakly, I can't understand how you could not know that you had illegal copies of Windows. You would have gotten notification of that a long time ago. I can understand not knowing about the PICK software, but I wonder why you made no attempt to upgrade that in 10 years.

Jun 9, 2008, 12:35 PM
    The Software for the RV Dealership was specially produced a lot of other companies were in the same boat.
    It was only 2 years ago that we upgraded the Dealership software. We were told the "PICK" software did not need to be upgraded.
    It had been running fine. We upgarded for Dos 3.0 not Windows 95, but the RV sofatware company told us we could not use Windows XP.
    In any envent we were not on the Internet till March 2007. It was also at that time we became aware that we had to upgrade and buy legal windows software.
    That has been done. The RV dealership software company will not do anything, other than Paying them an additional $17,000.
    So we sued

Jun 9, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Paying them an additional $17,000 was out of the question. So we sued

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PAY Day Loan - Gone to Small Business Court [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Need some professional advice. Took a pay day loan 6 months ago for $750 which I could not pay but now after all these months the company has filed my case with small business court here in Toronto, CANADA. They are asking for $1500 now which includes NSF,Legal,interest charges etc. What...

Looking for small town business-to-business service need I'm qualified for [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone out there can help! Some entrepreneur who's already made this discovery and who can hep me do similar. Seems everything I can think of nobody would pay any $ for me to do. I am 7 yr stay at home MOM w/ 2 kids now just both in school and I really need to find work I can do to...

What can I ask for in small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Paid $1200 for wedding pics sept. '06 and haven't received anything. Had contract. The contract clearly states the location of the ceremony. After wedding they added $250 in extra fees. Haven't paid the fees. The photographer claims the location was farhter than he had expected (even though the...

View more questions Search