Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FiFGuitar Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Compaq Presario vs. Sony Vaio
    Hi everyone, I just bought a Compaq Presario 6027US for $80. It's a Pentium 4 Processor, 2.0 GHz, 512 Mb, PC 2100 DDR Total System Memory. It's 3 years old. Here's what confuses me, my laptop of about the same years is a Sony Vaio PCGFXA63. And this compaq presario is either equal to or better in every detail. MY laptop moves quickly.
    SO WHAT CONFUSES ME is why is the compaq presario not just slower than my laptop but really slow in general?? Is this normal or abnormal? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Did I misread the information? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    -Alex
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Compaq is notoriously slow. I can't give you exactly why it's so, but the 3 PC's and 1 Compaq laptop I've had over the years have been tooooo slow... and I hear "is slow" about folk I know who have Compaq.

I think it's all the software garbage that comes with them that is difficult to pin down and remove...
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 8, 2006, 01:04 PM
    There could be a lot of factors that contribute to the machine being slow... both hardware and software wise, but I agree with Rick - The old Compaqs were quite poor quality machines.

You probably need to do a major clean up or re-format/re-install of the machine and make sure at has all the last available firmware and drivers installed.

If you got it at a used computer store, hopefully they've already done that.

If you bought it from an indivifual or auction, it could just be full of excess software that's dragging it down.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2006, 01:05 PM
    I have a Compaq I bought 18 months ago. Its an Athlon 64 2800 with 1G of RAM. While I haven't done any benchmarks against a comparable machine, I haven't noticed any slowness about it. Compaqs have changed considerably since the merger with HP.

When you say its slow, in doing what? You also say its used. Did you reformat ot make sure you cleaned out any spyware or other malware from it?
    FiFGuitar Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I have a Compaq I bought 18 months ago. Its an Athlon 64 2800 with 1G of RAM. while I haven't done any benchmarks against a comparable machine, I haven't noticed any slowness about it. Compaqs have changed considerably since the merger with HP.

When you say its slow, in doing what? You also say its used. Did you reformat ot make sure you cleaned out any spyware or other malware from it?

Thanks for the reply, it's just overall slow in getting started and lags a bit. How might I reformat it? Do I need the original OS software to do that?? Because I got it used off craigslist. Thanks -Alex
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Go to hp.com and look up the model. Download the manuals and look for instructions on making Recovery disks. If you can do that, use them to restore the system to factory condition. If you can't create the disks, let us know what OS is on it and we can advise further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Vaio PCG-K23 512MB to 1GB mem upgrade problem [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 which came preinstalled with 2 x 256MB Infineon HYS64D32020GDL-7-B PC2100 SO-DIMMs. I recently purchased 2 x 512MB Patriot Memory PSD512333S PC2700 SO-DIMMs hoping to replace the Infineon SO-DIMMs and bring it up to the maximum capability of 1GB. I realise that the PC2700...

Compaq Presario cases ? [ 3 Answers ]

Are the cases for the Compaq Presario 5204 proprietary like the ones for Dell used to be. I have a motherboard that I want to install in a friends system and I need to know if it will fit. The mobo is based off the Intel 845G ATX chipset.

Compaq Presario [ 3 Answers ]

Compact Presairo computer does not want to accept NEC Multi Sync LCD1530V flatscreen . Tells me Video Input is Out of Range. H: 53.7 kHz V 95.1 Hz. The unfortunate part is that it runs Windows ME... yes I know sad isn't it... but it was given to me for free, so I can't complain. Any idea's on how...

Sony Vaio PCG-K27 Bios Problem [ 9 Answers ]

I am having an issue with my notebook. I forgot the password that I put on it a year ago when I bought it. I need to know either how to remove this password, or what tools are needed to remove it. I am willing to take it to a service center, but I cannot afford to send it to the Sony facility in...

Help With A Compaq Presario 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

Hey everybody, my old neighbor gave me a compaq presario 5000 desktop before he left(no monitor,guides etc... just "the box") the problem is that every time I turn it on it starts loading up but then the screen turns blue and there is ths message on it. "A problem has been detected & windows has...

View more questions Search