Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Jun 9, 2008, 07:10 AM
    PIH and preeclampsia with the first, what about the second?
    With my first pregnancy I developed pregnancy induced hypertension around 32 weeks. Before that I ate healthy, I exercised regularly and was very healthy so I was shocked when the PIH just came out of nowhere. At 38 weeks they found protein in my urine and my blood pressure was 155/108 (or somewhere around those numbers) so I had to get induced. I am just wondering how common it is to have PIH or preeclampsia with all pregnancies. Both my grandmothers had it, an aunt of mine had it and my cousin had it, so it is a hereditary thing or no? I really do not want to have to go through it all over again, is there anyway I can help prevent it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Unfortunately it is more common than many people think. It is unfortunate as well that there is little, if anything, you can do to prevent it.

Is it hereditary? That is really unknown, but does factor into the health history.
    jjb4060 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 08:11 PM
    I had preeclampsia with my first and was induced also, but this time around my blood pressure has been great, so I haven't been induced... hopefully it will go smooth for you
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Jun 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
    I had pre-eclampsia with my first as well. He had to be delivered a month early through an emergency c-section. Very scary. I am 3 months pregnant with my second and was told by my doctor that I have a 20% chance of having it again. Every pregnancy is different so I am hoping for the best. Did the people in your family have the PIH or Pre-E with all their pregnancies or just their first? I have heard it is much more common in first pregnancies than second and third pregnancies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preeclampsia [ 21 Answers ]

I have been feeling quite sick lately, and this morning the doctor confirmed that I am in the early stages of preeclampsia. So far I am okay, and the doctor is hoping I can hang on for another 2-3 weeks, but after that, I may be having my baby, early! So if I suddenly disappear from the forum, you...

View more questions Search