Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coreymoar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 05:00 PM
    96 cavalier head gasket
    I bought a 96 cavalier last week. The head gasket was leaking as I could smell antifreeze on day 2. They acknowledged it was leaking and they "patched" it . Will that suffice? Also, if I blow the gasket will it kill my engine? What should I do? I am still under warranty for another 3 weeks.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Jun 8, 2008, 05:40 PM
    You bought this from a dealer and they offered a warranty? If so, then I wouldn't consider a patch an acceptable "fix." A leaking head gasket on this vehicle is usually caused by engine overheating. The only way to permanently solve that problem is to remove the head, have it planned and reinstall it with a new gasket.
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Jun 8, 2008, 05:45 PM
    12 yr. old car with a warranty?? Want to buy a bridge over the Atlantic?. cheap... If that's for real, make them fix it! By patched, if they threw in some blackk pepper and plugged the leak, that'll do long enough to keep you out of their hair! I wouldn't even settle for any kind of head repair job. Worked in a professional shop where they fixed heads by drilling and tapping threads into the crack, over and over again until they thought they fixed it, and then they'd magna flux it, and it all would look good. Just to be sure, we'd pressure check it by plugging all the holes, and putting air to it. 9/10 of the time, it'd still leak (a little if not a lot) Then to fix that, they'd just peen it(which is basically bending the metal together "mashing" it with a ball peen hammer)until it dtopped leaking. I know metal, and I know it expands with heat, and contracts when cooled. How much of that do you suppose that mashed together crack would handle before it started leaking again? Make them replace the gasket, and have the head checked for cracks, and planned. If there are any cracks in the head settle for nothing less than a NEW head!
    Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Head gasket [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2000 suburban and I notice on start up the smell of antifreeze, does anyone know what that could possibly indicate?

Head gasket [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honda civic 1989 120,000 miles 3dr. 1.5 std I blew the head gasket last summer and its been sitting all winter. The head gasket was replaced 30.000 miles ago but someone messed up. I just now got the head resurfaced and oem bolts and gasket per the tsb $200! 2 questions:...

New head gasket [ 5 Answers ]

Is there anyway of knowing if the head gasket is torqued right?? This time the first time I torqued it 30lbs the second time I torqued it to 50. The chilton book says 22lbs the first time and 47 the second, but the car has 170k and the head has been serviced and shaved. It seems to have better...

96' Cavalier Head Gasket Repair [ 1 Answers ]

I need step by step instructions on how to replace the head gasket of my 1996 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2 by myself.:confused: All serious answers are very much appreciated.

96 chevy cavalier leaking head gasket need advice [ 6 Answers ]

My 1996 chevy cavalier is leaking around the head gasket its not really bad but it is noticeable will Bar's radiator stop leak help me? Will it hurt my motor? I'm afraid it could mix with the oil and cause damage what do you think? So far as I can tell it is only leaking from the outside of the...

View more questions Search