Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakiria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Mildew Smell Coming from Bathroom Sink/Cabinet
    Hi there,

There is a mildew smell coming from my bathroom sink. I live on the ground/basement level of a newly renovated building. I've been here for two years, we had a flood the first year I was here (I cleaned my entire apartment with bleach afterwards and professionals came in and cleaned the apartment next to mine and all of the common areas), and the smell only shows up during the warm months. My sink is housed in a wooden cabinet, but I see no signs of mildew growth either in or around it. I noticed some other answers to similar questions on this site, so I checked to see if the smell is coming from the drain, but it really seems strongest when I open the cabinet and smell inside. The puzzler is that I don't see any mildew growth inside the cabinet. Could the smell be coming from the pipes in the cabinet? Should I try the bleach-down-the-drain-and-then-boiling-water-flush I saw suggested to some other folks? Thanks for any help!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
    If you want to freshen the drain try this. Mix ½ cup of table salt with ½ cup baking soda, dump down the drain followed by a cup of vinegar. Allow to soak overnight and flush the next day with a big bucket of very hot water. In your case I might also suggest you remove the kick plate from the front bottom of the cabinet. The mildew may be inside the base.
    eokhuijzen Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Nov 11, 2010, 11:58 PM
    What is the kick plate? I have the saame problem
    Madre2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 08:10 AM
    I am having the same issue. I have a very powerful nose. I went through everything you are going through. I finally realized it's the overflow that is causing this horrible, potent mildew smell. It actually has a separate water flow down the drain than the rest of the sink. I stuck a long, thin brush down there and was horrified to pull out thick, black gunk. My husband never fills this basin with water (it's his sink in the bathroom), so I suspect underuse caused the problem. I am in the process of trying to kill the mildew and bacteria with (alternate) use of bleach, toilet bowl cleaner with bleach (gel), baking soda and vinegar, and a product called "Drain Care." It's still not going away! But at least I know what the problem is. I'm hoping that several days of cleaning will finally cure this nasty problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Smell coming from bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

We have a strong sewage smell coming from our bathroom sink. Can you help?

Mildew smell from bathroom sink when water runs [ 1 Answers ]

Only happens in bathroom sink, not shower or kitchen sink. I turn on water, hot or cold and when I bend over to say, brush my teeth I get this mildew smell. Ive tried bleach, and liquid plumber down that drain but it did not help. Any Ideas on how I can stop this odor?

Strange smell coming from underneath bathroom cabinet [ 7 Answers ]

After we remodeled our children's upstairs bathroom, it backs up to the attic, we had new insulation put in. This summer there is a terrible musty smell. I tried putting damp-rid products underneath cabinet to help the smell but the smell has intenisified! Help Also, the insulation in the garage...

Smell coming up from bathroom sink. [ 1 Answers ]

Our bathroom sink smells like sewer when we run water down it. I know the trap is full because we use this sink every day. We have to keep the drain closed and run a sink full of water before we can open the drain and use the sink. What is causing this problem? Could our vent be plugged? It...

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

View more questions Search