Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sspence Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 08:34 PM
    fractions
    how do you convert the math problem 5x (2/3 x 1/2) to get the answer?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2006, 08:45 PM
    you first solve what in the brackets first, then multiply by 5.

so do you how to multiply 2/3 x 1/2? Based on the nature of the problem, you should.

then take that answer and multiply by 5.

hint: what is half of one half? 1/4 right? Half of a dollar is 50 cents. Half of 50 cents is a quarter. So 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4. that should get you started wout giving you the answer
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2006, 09:48 PM
    2 x 1 = 2
    3 x 2 = 6
    2/6 = 1/3

5x(1/3)

Answer: (5/3)x
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Hi,
    When multiplying fractions:
    Multiply across the top, then multiply across the bottom.
    2/3 x 1/2 means, as in the other answer.
    Multiply the top, 2x1, get 2.
    Multiply the bottom, 3/2, get 6
    That is 2/6, you can also reduce the answer to 1/3.
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Hmm... guess my giving hints without giving the actual answer was a waste of a post.

So much for making the person try the problem and having them post to see if they got it right.

I'm not against helping solve a problem, but lets give the person a chance to work it out. At least state what they are getting for a wrong answer.

If I didn't explain it clearly or there's another angle, great. I just hate it when students get an answer given to them. this is how people failed my tests. looked at answers they were given by others, thought they understood it, and then failed to have the connections needed to do the problem on their own.

Yes, I always gave solved examples in class. Yes, sometimes getting a person to see the problem worked through to the end might be the only way they'll get to the next step. But I'm just not so prone to providing an outright answer in most cases. You see those people repost with the same kind of problems later, asking for answers.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 08:48 PM
    kp2171,

You bring up some valid points. But 1 simple fraction question is never going to hurt anyone.

I myself am capable of doing work on my own, although sometimes when I'm stuck, getting the solution works for me.

Although, as a teacher (former?), you do have the teacher's point of view on it…
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2006, 09:00 AM
    one problem hurts nobody. This is probably just shell shock from when I used to teach and would see students copying answers from other in the classroom before class. I could see it. i'm in the room folks.

yeah, and I seem to be more grumpy in the morning. =) maybe I should only answer posts in the evening. Low blood sugar? Or maybe my irish temper. =)

yeah. Former teacher. All I do now is occasionally privately tutor the sciences and prep for med school. The work load just became unbelievable. To do a good job meant hours and hours of grading and time away from my family. Was OK when I was single.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subtracting fractions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Sorry I haven't been here in a while but I need some help in math, it's been so long since I have been in school I have forgotten some things,, will you please explain to me how to do subtracting fractions, Thank you so much ...

Fractions [ 9 Answers ]

1- Add the fractions 2/3, 3/8, and 5/12 and reduce your answer to lowest terms. 2- Subtract the fraction 7 4/5 from the fraction 18 6/15 and reduce your answer to lowest terms. 3- Divide the fraction 14/27 by the fraction 2/3 and reduce your answer to lowest terms. 4- Change the fraction...

Fractions and negative exponents [ 3 Answers ]

How do I make a fraction out of 3 to the negative 2 power? Thanks

Simplifying algerbraic fractions and using logs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm having some problems with this A2 level maths quesition. How do you simplify the following algerbraic fration?: (x^2 + 4x + 3)/(x^2 + x) I have used the notation x^2 as 'the square of x' Also, how do you find the value of x when log2(x^2 + 4x + 3)-log2(x^2 + x) My notation for...

View more questions Search