Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bigbelly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Harassment by credit card vendors
    If there is a body of evidence showing that a credit card vendor harassed a debtor knowing that by so doing that debtor would suffer severe anxiety and stress; does this constitute a criminal offence under the Protection from Harassment Act.

If so, how would you go about bringing them to court.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2008, 02:28 AM
    Hello Big:

No, but he might have violated the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act".

What, exactly, did they do?

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2008, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbelly
    If there is a body of evidence showing that a credit card vendor harassed a debtor knowing that by so doing that debtor would suffer severe anxiety and stress; does this constitute a criminal offence under the Protection from Harassment Act.

If so, how would you go about bringing them to court.

File with your State Attorney General for unfair collection practices - then see what the A.G. says and go from there.

Unless the creditor is outside the legal guidelines he/she can pretty much do whatever he/she wants to do, including proceeding to judgment.

If this argument worked every debtor would use it.

There IS intentional infliction of emotional distress but it's hard to prove and an expensive case. If you think you have a case - and the money to retain an Attorney - that would be the way to go but I wouldn't expect much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 09:11 AM
    If you have sent them in certified mail a letter informing them not to contact you by phone any more, they can be sued in civil court for every contact you can prove.

If you have never written them not to call you, they may call you to collect the debt.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2008, 03:16 PM
    [Bigbelly disagrees: My question seem to have been answered according to US law, whereas under UK law it would seem that this answer is incorrect as all financial institutions who deal direct with the public are subject to a strict code of conduct in all matters.]

I obviously didn't realize you were in the UK - sorry.

It seems that you already know the answer to your question so I'm not going to research -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Comments on this post

Bigbelly disagrees: My question seem to have been answered according to US law, whereas under UK law it would seem that this answer is incorrect as all financial institutions who deal direct with the public are subject to a strict code of conduct in all matters.

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Nowhere in your post did you mention that you were asking about UK laws. Nor does your profile indicate being from the UK. Therefore it was totally unfair for you to give Judy a negative comment because she answered based on US laws. We can't be faulted for giving an accurate answer if you don't provide us enough info.
    Bigbelly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    [Bigbelly disagrees: My question seem to have been answered according to US law, whereas under UK law it would seem that this answer is incorrect as all financial institutions who deal direct with the public are subject to a strict code of conduct in all matters.]

I obviously didn't realize you were in the UK - sorry.

It seems that you already know the answer to your question so I'm not going to research -
    JudyKayTee,

Sorry I gave you a negative and dissagreed but I thought this was a UK and US site: I am UK based and I should have made that clear. Please disregard my response.

Bigbelly.:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a credit card who will only check transunion/poor credit [ 1 Answers ]

My transunion score is high and the others r in the high fives I'm looking for a business credit card is there a chance there might be one who will only check my transunion? Thank you Smart B Development Corp.

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Credit card membership fee ruin my credit [ 2 Answers ]

I have cptal one credit card which I paid off 2years ago. I know my I didn't check any capital one mail after I paid off. But I got one letter from capital one it said if I don't pay my membership fee(which is $47 including interest) until jan.18.2008, they will report credit revenue. So I call...

How do I get a credit report from all three bureaus with no credit card [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get all three creidt reports with out submitting a credit card.

View more questions Search