Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chesterlop Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Called county clerk today??
    I called the clerk today to make sure I was bringing all the correct documents for our divorce. It's a very simple uncontested divorce, we're not using an attorney.

She told me she could not tell me what were the correct documents to bring. I'm assuming that would be considered "giving legal advice"?? I hope I'm bringing the correct documents. She also told me I would have to fill out some additional documents that need to be notarized when I show up to file my papers.

Does anyone know what those documents are that I will have to fill out when I show up to file my (Petition for Divorce, Affidavit of Consent & Marital Settlement Agreement)? I don't want to be caught off guard. I want to make sure I know what documents I'm completing if they are going to be immediately notarized.

By the way, I live in Georgia.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2006, 08:14 PM
    It has been about 8 years since I looked at divorce papers in GA, but that sounds about it. If you want to double check ( or take them and see)
    You can go to court and review other cases. ( This is what paralegal or clerks do for attorneys, they will go in and review past cases and the such.
    If you find a similar case, you can copy the relevant papers and use them for a guide line on filing.

Also at least a few years ago, the paralegals in GA were getting about 100 to fill out all the papers.

** I will note some courts and some judges are not really happy with people filing thierself, remember judges and many of their clerks are attorneys and they want their buddies to get the work.

Mar 7, 2006, 11:29 PM
    How do I find a paralegal that would be able to complete the necessary paper work for a divorce? Do I simply look under "paralegal" in the phone book? Are there any benefits to using a paralegal instead of doing it myself?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2006, 05:10 AM
    HI,
    If you do it yourself, the chances are you will leave out something, or do part of it wrong. That's always the chance one takes. A paralegal can tell you exactly what should be done and how to do it.
    Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 05:39 AM
    No real benefit except that if the paralegal knows your specific court they will even normally know the size and type of font the judge perfers.

But the paralegals have all (or should have) all the current up to date forms and the such.

Remember on all forms that you submit, each place you or the soon to be ex signs has to be notorized. Also if your ex will go with you when you go to the court house to file it may save some time if you don't have something right.

GA Paralegal Asoc

http://www.gaparalegal.org/

Paralegal around Roswell GA
    http://www.adivorcefast.com/

Paralegal around Atlanta
    Paralegal & Financial Service
    2981 Church St Ste 103
    Atlanta, GA 30344-4157
    (404) 767-7944

But you can do a simple web search of Paralegal and your city or county or nearest big city.

Also yes just look in the yellow pages, and since they advertise in GA, I used to see billboards around the major cities and in a lot of newspapers.

The couple I looked at looking up this research looked like there were charging 199. Perhaps that is the new rate , as I said, it has been a few years since I did that sort of thing in GA

Mar 8, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Maybe I should just use an attorney??

The clerk also told me that after I file the documents I will have to contact the court in 45 days and ask for the judge to then review our case. I thought after 31 days the divorce was final??

I just don't want my wife and I to start disagreeing on everything. I've heard that attorneys will try to create disagreements between couples so they will have to spend more time and make more money. Also, if I get an attorney, then I guess she will have to get a different one which will just cost more money. I'm not sure if she would be OK with only one of us receiving legal advice.

I just want to get this over with smoothly and as soon as possible.
    Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 02:27 PM
    No if I still have the correct info, it has been awhile, after you file, there is a waiting period ( for you all to have that chance to get back together)
    Then after that period ( I assume it is 45 days now) the judge signs it, then normally to allow for legal service of both parties, I believe there is a 30 day wait after it is signed to be final.

There are "low" or "budget" attorneys in GA that normally do these for that 300 or 400 dollars esp if they are not contested, both man and women use the same attorney. It does run smoother but it can be done without one.

Mar 8, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Oh, I thought both husband and wife could not use the same attorney. I've read that you can use one attorney but only one person husband/wife can be represented by that attorney. The other person would actually have no representation.

Wow, two and a half months is a really long time for the divorce to be final. :confused:
    Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 07:09 PM
    No, on non contested divorce both people can use the same attorney, I am not sure how he really show it on his books, but basically you both go to his office tell him what you want, he fills out all the papers, calls you in to sign them ( you don't have to go in together to sign them)

He then files the paper work, you don't ever set foot into the court house.

Divorce was not my thing but did it a couple times in GA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Courses for law clerk [ 4 Answers ]

Even though I know that I'm just starting high school I would like to know what courses to take in becoming a law clerk..

Woman's resource center onslow county nc [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know if it is legal for someone from the woman's resource center to call my home on behalf of a client calling herself a friend and request we do not call client( boyfriend and I) his ex wife is client, I called woman's resource center back and explained situation the person I spoke with...

Know this county song? [ 5 Answers ]

If you know artist & title please let me know... some of the lyrics are 'I can see me being with you for the rest of my life.. I can see you loving me too.. it sure would be nice... two hearts, one love' thank you .

View more questions Search