Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roentgenray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Add spouse to deed with quitclaim deed
    My wife and I bought a lot from my parents but my dad died prior to transferring our names to the deed. This was subsequently placed on the back burner and overlooked for a couple of years until I noticed that the tax bills had my parents name on it. I contacted my mother and she signed a quitclaim deed with myself as the grantee rather than my wife and myself. I want to rectify this however, since this all occurred, my wife and my mother have had a terrible falling out and don't speak. Nevertheless, the lot should be listed in both my wife and my name. If I bring this up my wife is going to think that this was an intentional omission of her name on the deed. Can I simply sign a quitclaim deed granting the property from myself to myself and my wife without having to have her sign it?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Yes. Go to the Real Estate Law forum. Near the top is a sticky post that explains how to add someone to a deed. The person you're adding doesn't need to sign it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Yes you may
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 10:18 AM
    roentgenray agrees: Thanks for your answer but how do I find and open a "sticky post"
    Go to the Real Estate Law forum. At the top there is a post that says "Sticky: How to add someone to your deed". Just click on that.

If you're still having trouble finding it then go here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...eed-91136.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quitclaim deed vs. Warranty deed [ 3 Answers ]

Years ago in Arkansas, I did a quitclaim deed to my brother for a house we had financed for our mom. Later when the lienholder had to foreclose on the property, they also came after me. I had the foreclosure on my credit record for 7 yrs. What I didn't know at the time was that I was giving up...

Quitclaim deed [ 5 Answers ]

We sold a house and the buyer is in foreclosure with his mortgage. There was an error on the books (house number wrong). The address is correct on our settlement papers. Lawyers call us and say that we need to sign a quitclaim deed since we have no interest in the house and because of the error,...

QuitClaim Deed on House in favor of spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings: Our retirement nest egg is the equity on the house - we live in Illinois. My spouse don't work. I am self employed (no employees - but uses subcontractors). I can get sued if the subcontractors don't perform. I am not party to any litigation currently and no potential problems are...

Quitclaim deed or grant deed? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem... In order to buy my first home I had to have my mother put in her name because of my credit. I make all the payments in the two years I lived her and am ready to have the home in my name. What is the best way for us to do this??

Quitclaim Deed [ 4 Answers ]

Property in question is in Virginia. My parents lived in and paid taxes on this property for 35 years (still paying). My grandmother listed on the deed her successors, which were my mom and her remaining living siblings at that time which was 28 yrs. Ago. Most others listed as property owners on...

View more questions Search