Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scudrunner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 03:57 PM
    My laptop has limited or no connectivity.
    When I try to connect to my modem. (AT&T DSL)

I have two desktops running fine from my NetGear router. (it's capable of being wireless but I have it hardwired to all three PCs)

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with IP addresses and recognizing the modem, (and then the router, once the problem is resolved) but I need help getting the laptop back online.

I have connected the laptop directly to the modem, to the LAN input and into a LAN PC card, both to no avail. I think it's something I'm going to laugh about later, (you idiot!) but right now it has me stumped!

Any help certainly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Post your current IP addressing for all the devices involved.

Also, depending on the modem, you may need to have the router involved, and be unable to connect the PC directly to the modem. Additionally, if it is possible to connect the PC directly to the modem, you may need a crossover cable to do so (idiot?). Are the link lights on the ports coming on?
    scudrunner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Scleros,
    Thanks for the reply.
    It turned out to be a cable issue. I don't know why.
    I had both desktops connected to the router with a blue ethernet cable, the laptop too; which obviously didn't work.
    Changed the laptop's blue cable connected to the router and the laptop to a yellow ethernet cable and it works now.
    I thought you only needed a yellow cable connecting the modem to the router and the others were blue, but apparently not.
    Thanks again.
    Maybe this cable info will help someone else suffering the same problems as obviously the laptop is different from the desktops.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jun 9, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Rob, you did'nt list your DSL modem/router, but I suspect you have the DSL modem bridged, which means the DSL modem/router is dumb... You need to connect the notebook to the Netgear, where the DHCP server is likely located.

You will get "limited or no connectivity" error when there is no DHCP server to available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Showing limited or no connectivity message while connecting laptop to the wireles n/w [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are using Linksys wireless-G Broadband router,(2.4 Ghz 54 Mbps ). It was working fine.But since last few days it is showing "Limited or no connectivity" message. I am new to this field.please guide what to do... Rgds,

Limited or No Connectivity on Laptop [ 10 Answers ]

I am having trouble connecting to the internet on my LAN. :confused: The connection states that there is limited or no connectivity. I am wondering if anyone can help me fix this. I have Windows XP. When I try to repair the connection it says that it is unable to renew the IP address. Here is the...

Limited or No Connectivity on Laptop [ 4 Answers ]

My laptop has limited or no connectivity when I try to connect it with my usual connection although it has FULL Signal Strength. However when it is able to connect to this "default" connection that I cannot access from my own room, it works - with really low Signal Strength. I really need this...

Limited or no connectivity [ 22 Answers ]

Hi I'm in dire need of help! Just yesterday I was on the internet on my laptop when all of a sudden I a message appeared saying I had limited or no connectivity although I was still had full excellent signal. The problem is not with my router or service provider as my flatmates are still able to...

Laptop - Limited or No connectivity [ 14 Answers ]

Hello. I am so frustrated I think my eyeballs will explode. I am a computer novice so I will just tell you all that I know. My computer is the main one which in turn connects my brothers computer to the internet but I am now having trouble connecting my Laptop. So at the moment, 2 out of 3...

View more questions Search