Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ivyellen76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Air Handler Blowing Warm Air/Outside Unit Humming Only
    We came home yesterday to a 90 degree house. It was 95 degrees here yesterday and my husband left the setting at 72 degrees all day. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the problem, but we thought it may have frozen/overheated the Carrier system (approx. five years old) during the heat of the day trying to cool the house during a scorching day. We turned the system off overnight, keeping the air handler fan on only, hoping it would give the system an opportunity to recover; however, five hours later after trying to restart the system it is still blowing room temperature air and the outside system hasn't kicked on.

The air handler is working and blowing a lot of air, but the system won't cool. We've checked fuses and breakers and all appears to be fine. I turned the system to "On" instead of "Auto" and after ten minutes checked out the outside unit. I've checked it every 30 minutes since - You can hear an electrical hum, but the fan is not moving at all. I feared burning out the motor or doing other irreparable damage to the system, so I turned the air back off.

We can't find anyone to come out earlier than Wednesday, and with three 95 degree days between now and then, we're hoping there's something we can do to resolve this issue.

Any idea what the problem may be, and if there's anything we can do to fix this problem?
    It's already 90 degrees in the house and quite unbearable.

Thank you so much for your advice! :)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Check the fuses and circuit breakers for the unit outside. Replace if defective.
    ivyellen76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Check the fuses and circuit breakers for the unit outside. Replace if defective.
    We've done this, and when we turned the breaker off and back on, we could hear the compressor but the fan would not turn. Ideas?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Sounds like the capacitor or fan motor or both are defective. If you replace the outside fan motor make sure to get the correct one. Look at the label on the old one to match up. Get a new capacitor for the new motor of the correct size also.

You might check the wiring in the outside unit going to the fan motor just to be sure no damage has occurred.
    bstanley Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 06:34 AM
    I'm not an expert by any means, however we had the same problem and it turned out to be a capacitor in the compressor (outside unit). The tech took off a side panel of the compressor and showed me a silver cylinder looking thing and it looked like someone put a firecracker in it. The sides were kind of pushed out on it. It was very obvious that it shouldn't look like that. He replaced it, and all is fine.
    crob_28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2013, 04:09 AM
    My a/c blows hot air. I had it checked but the tech said freon was fine and it had no codes. He tried to push the contacts in on the unit outside after he removed the cover and said it was locked out (in safe mode). The fan turns but I don't hear the whining or humming that goes along with the fan turning. Can you help me or should I try another tech?
    bettyboop2you Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 28, 2013, 12:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crob_28 View Post
    my a/c blows hot air. I had it checked but the tech said freon was fine and it had no codes. he tried to push the contacts in on the unit outside after he removed the cover and said it was locked out (in safe mode). the fan turns but i don't hear the whining or humming that goes along with the fan turning. can you help me or should i try another tech?
    Yes, definitely try another tech, you probably have capacitor that needs to be replaced. Btw, if he used the word freon, he doesn't know what he is doing, its called refridgerant in a/c units, professionals know this.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2013, 09:00 AM
    bettyboop2you,
    Do you realize you are replying to a post over a month old? BTW, the term "Freon" is often used by professional techs simply because it is the term most homeowners know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Handler not blowing heat at all [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Trane Air Handler and all of a sudden it stopped blowing heat through out the house. I have two thermostat one down stairs the other upstairs. I changed the filter; I checked the fuse and the breaker every thing is working. When I switched the thermostat to heat I can hear the...

Humming noise coming from NEW Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a new Rheem condenser and air handler last week. After it was installed, I noticed a humming/buzzing sound coming from the air handler - which is in the attic. Should a brand new air handler be making this noise? It is not loud, but every time my wife and I walk by/just below the...

Air handler not blowing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a heat pump split system. My outdoor unit is turning on. However even in the "fan on" position on my thermostat no air is beign blown out the vents. My air handler is above my garage. If I turn the thermostat off and back on the lights dim a little in the room like they normally did when...

A/C blowing warm air [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I live in a double wide mobile home I have central air that is only blowing cold air through one side of home the other side is blowing out air its just a warm please help single Mom of 3 can't afford repair man:(

Blower/Air Handler motor noise. Loud humming. [ 2 Answers ]

We have ~ 1991 Carrier 58sx high efficiency condensing furnace and central AC. Now the air handler is making a loud humming/vibration noise when the fan kicks in (the blower motor for the air handler makes the noise, not the gas furnace/exhaust blower). The serious electrical humm is loudest when...

View more questions Search