Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshine03 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Fuse design and overloads
    HI GUYS

I have a couple of questions dealing with fuses and their design...
    Is it true that automotive fuses are designed to withstand start up current spikes high above their amperage rating-without blowing the fuse?
    Also, if a worn out component operates at or just under max amperage,can it cause it's fuse, the fuse box and joining wires to melt and burn without actually blowing the fuse and opening the circuit?

I really appreciate your time and help
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Q1: Yes

Q2: No. The primary cause of the failure that you describe is poor connections at the fuse. This causes excessive heat which does all sorts of bad things destryoing the fuseholder and melting the insulation of the attached wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ECU fuse and turn/reverse signal fuse problems [ 3 Answers ]

He, I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback and has had electrical problems since the day I got it. This sh*t sucks. First, it was the ignition that kept burning up and I went through 3, and found the solution. Fixed that problem and now, there's another. The ECU fuse in the engine bay keeps blowing...

Plastic Product design, Mold design, Plastics, [ 2 Answers ]

What are all the precautions needs to be taken during Nylon molding?

VLSI Design [ 1 Answers ]

Hi What are the universities offering M.S program in VLSI

CSS Web design [ 4 Answers ]

Good morning, I've been trying to do CSS on my new website for a while. I've been able to design some new templates in Dreamweaver, and I've created quite a few CSS styles. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to see my styles appear on any web interfaces. Internet Explorer and Firefox,...

View more questions Search