Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthewoods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2008, 06:51 AM
    If my garage encroaches my neighbor with the majority on his property, can I claim
    The garage has been used exclusively and continuously by the owners of my house for over 30 years; it is hostile, open, notorious; I pay taxes on the garage exclusively - so I believe I can claim adverse possession or an action to quiet title or a prescriptive easement. But the boundary goes through the garage at an angle, and only 1/4 to 1/3 of the garage is on my property. Is there a legal precedent of "majority rules" - i.e. because the lion's share of the building is on his property, he gets to claim it?

As an aside, he is threatening to beat me to a pulp (I'm a single mom and he's an alcoholic), make every day of my life miserable, and provokes me constantly by blocking my way with his body or junk that he throws in front of my car when I try to leave. Nice guy, huh? And the police can't do a thing, because I don't have a witness.

Thanks for you help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2008, 06:59 AM
    This is where the law of adverse possession was written for. You will need to hire an attorney to file this for you. If you win, the property line will be changed on the deeds to show the entire garage on your property. If you lose, it is possible the garage may have to be torn down or moved.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Hello in:

Go buy a cheap video camera and set it up to go off with motion detector. Then you call the cops and get a restraining order against him. Even if it's HIS garage, he'll have to remove himself when you come a walking.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I claim unowned property? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in Florida. I have recently discovered a piece of property I was interested in and I went to the Court house to find out who owned it. They said no one did and no one was paying taxes on it. I asked how I could go about getting it and they said they didn't really know but I could research...

Neighbor won't trim brush off my property [ 3 Answers ]

My neighbor has a brush not bush growing well over 3 feet onto my yard. Its very unattractive and mosquitoes love it. I have ask her to trim them. She called the police? Of course I had no Problem with them but she still has refused to clear the awful mess off my yard. It also blocks my view out...

Neighbor attached to fence on our property w/out consent [ 1 Answers ]

Before we put our fence up, we asked our neighbor if he would like to share the fence line, including costs and he said yes. When the day came to erect the fence, we called the neighbor and he said he could not afford it at that time and he also wanted to change the location of where the fence...

Can I quit claim liened property? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I quit claim property with a lien against it?

View more questions Search